Thread: Using ORP probe as pH

Regular Vistor

Using ORP probe as pH

I wanted to use an ORP probe inside a denitrator reactor, following what Terence has recommended on this post here:
    https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/gi...9#post-3480845

I was a bit confused about this: "If you set the second pH/ORP port to from ORP to pH (but still use an ORP probe of course), you can read the actual positive or negative ORP using a conversion of pH units."

If I already have an ORP probe connected, do I just go to Fusion > Inputs then disable ORP and enable it as pH2?

NSI Member
    What I gathered is that you're correct, simply change it to PH2 and now your ORP probe can communicate -ORP with a simple conversion that he laid out in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by wca View Post
    If I already have an ORP probe connected, do I just go to Fusion > Inputs then disable ORP and enable it as pH2? [/FONT][/COLOR]
    Just enable pH2; doing so will automatically switch the port from ORP mode to pH mode; ORP will become disabled.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I enabled it as ph2 and it’s been reading as 0.75 overnight. I changed it out to a new ORP probe in case but still reading 0.75. I feel like I’m doing something wrong?

NSI Member
    Based on his numbers, the conversion of 0.75 pH to ORP is 362.5mv. Which if is correct, you haven't even entered the negative scale yet, and to test it, you can switch the probe back to ORP to see if you get close to 362.5

Regular Vistor
    Switched it back to ORP and it's reading 415. It's also weird that there's zero fluctuation in reading at all.

s1.jpg

Frequent Contributor
    Sounds to me like your denitrator just hasn't become active yet. Slow the flow way down and watch the "pH". It should rise. It takes a few days sometimes to get it going. Might have even taken a week on mine. Bacteria has to build up.

Regular Vistor
    Thanks Terence, I will check back in a week after reducing the flow.

Frequent Contributor
    Set yourself an alarm on that probe for 9.0. You don't want to get it to over 11.5, especially if you have a small tank, because then if that effluent dumps into your tank at once for some reason, it could be bad news.

Regular Vistor
    Good point, alarm set for 9.0; I'm testing them on two systems (TS-3 on a 400g fish-only & TS-2 on a 260g reef). ORP / pH on both units reading 0.75 and initially I thought it was weird that both were reading identical but hopefully I'll see movement in a week.

Regular Vistor
    It seems to be shooting up from 0.75 to past 9 rapidly within a few hours; is this normal? Drip rate about 3/sec

Frequent Visitor
    Can I change the ORP port to pH2 on an Apex 2016? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by kylarse View Post
    Can I change the ORP port to pH2 on an Apex 2016? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks,
    Yes. Go the the Inputs page, select pH2, and enable it. When you do this, ORP will automatically be disabled.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    Yes. Go the the Inputs page, select pH2, and enable it. When you do this, ORP will automatically be disabled.
    Thanks, easy enough.