Thread: Extend ATO reach

New User

Extend ATO reach

I can’t be the only one with this problem. Wondering how to to reach my RO water barrel from across the room. I have the ATK and using the DC24v line to the FMM, also bought the 10ft DC24v male to female extension which I understand is the max it should be extended.

Unfortunately this still isn’t long enough. I need about 20ft. I’m pretty sure the pump can handle it as it’s rated 14ft vertical and I’m only going 5ft vertical and about 15ft horizontal, but getting power to the pump is the issue.

My last resort will be to buy another FMM and use long aqua bus cable to get it closer to the barrel and run the ATK pump to that, but I’d like to avoid this if I can.

Can I add another 10ft extension even though NS says not to?
    Any other work around??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TheArsalan View Post
    I can’t be the only one with this problem. Wondering how to to reach my RO water barrel from across the room. I have the ATK and using the DC24v line to the FMM, also bought the 10ft DC24v male to female extension which I understand is the max it should be extended.

Unfortunately this still isn’t long enough. I need about 20ft. I’m pretty sure the pump can handle it as it’s rated 14ft vertical and I’m only going 5ft vertical and about 15ft horizontal, but getting power to the pump is the issue.

My last resort will be to buy another FMM and use long aqua bus cable to get it closer to the barrel and run the ATK pump to that, but I’d like to avoid this if I can.

Can I add another 10ft extension even though NS says not to?
    Any other work around??

The problem isn't head, it's voltage drop. The PMUP doesn't reliably start with more than one extension.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The problem isn't head, it's voltage drop. The PMUP doesn't reliably start with more than one extension.

I kinda figured that, I’m sure it’ll still get power but not reliably as you mentioned, makes sense.
    Maybe I’ll look into installing a repeater/amplifier between two extensions.
    Anyone see this done before with no issues?

I kinda figured that, I’m sure it’ll still get power but not reliably as you mentioned, makes sense.
    Maybe I’ll look into installing a repeater/amplifier between two extensions.
    Anyone see this done before with no issues?

Repeaters and amplifiers are for signals not DC power. The way around the voltage drop limitation is to make your own extension cable with larger gauge wire. If you double the diameter, you quadruple the allowable length for an identical voltage drop.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Repeaters and amplifiers are for signals not DC power. The way around the voltage drop limitation is to make your own extension cable with larger gauge wire. If you double the diameter, you quadruple the allowable length for an identical voltage drop.

Now there’s the answer I was looking for, I’m all in for diy alternatives. Any chance you know where I can get those types of fittings that NS uses for the DC24 wires?
    If I don’t find them I’ll be taking them off my existing wire I have.

Thanks again!

Now there’s the answer I was looking for, I’m all in for diy alternatives. Any chance you know where I can get those types of fittings that NS uses for the DC24 wires?
    If I don’t find them I’ll be taking them off my existing wire I have.

Thanks again!

I don't remember the part number, but you can get them from mauser, Newark, and DigiKey. They are a specific molex mini type connector and reef2reef has some threads with the part numbers.

The premade cables are already crimped with the maximum size the connector is "supposed" to use, but that can be circumvented by clipping a few strands off where you crimp. Just make sure to use stranded cable like speaker wire and not solid cable.

New User

Extend ATO reach

Awesome man, I think it’s something along the lines of a MiniFit-Jr. I’ll do more research and order it soon. Thanks!

Correction, I’m pretty sure it’s the Molex Micro-fit 3.0 in case anyone else is wondering in the future.

New User
    Thanks for the help man, this works beautifully.
    Ended up ordering the fittings from Steve’sLED.