Thread: Need Help Icecap 3k and Icecap Gyre Module

Regular Vistor

Need Help Icecap 3k and Icecap Gyre Module

Hey everyone,

I need some help please. I'm brand new to Apex. Using my first Apex in a brand new build I almost completed.

I have 2 gyre Icecap 3k and 2 icecaps modules for the Apex.

I'm trying to replicate the BRS 160 alternating turbulence. BRS emailed the coding but the pumps will not work even without the coding.

The only way I can get the pumps to work is to use the controllers they came with. Otherwise they go in reverse mode at a very low speed.

I have tried all kinds of combinations with the variable speed ports, the outlet programming. I have spent over 5 hours trying to get these this to work.

Being new to Apex is not helping.

What I have done so far is plug the power adapters into the energy bar. The out let's are set to pump
    -set on
    -fall back on

I plugged one of the cables into one of the variable speed ports. And plugged one end of the Y cable into the module for one power head.

I plugged in the other Y cable into the other variable speed port and one end into the second module.

Now what?

I cleared out all the coding under the variable speed ports.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Make sure you plug the Y cables in all the way.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Make sure you plug the Y cables in all the way.

I tried that, they don't go any further.

The weird part is the pumps will run in reverse just connected to the module when the Y cables are not plugged in.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Rshashaty View Post
    I tried that, they don't go any further.

The weird part is the pumps will run in reverse just connected to the module when the Y cables are not plugged in.
    When you say they run in reverse with the cable not plugged in, which end are you referring to?
    If you have the cable unplugged from the icecap module for the apex and the pumps are running in either direction then I think you can say there is something wrong with the module.
    If you have the 3.5mm end plugged in and the rj45 end unplugged then make sure the 3.5mm plug is in all the way. Also check it with the 3.5mm end unplugged.

Also for clarity, there are two different cables for these modules.
    One has a single rj45 that goes to two 3.5mm ends. This cable is referred to as a Y cable and is only capable of running the pumps in the forward direction. You can run two pumps from one rj45 port with it.

The other cable type is one rj45 that ends in one 3.5mm plug. This cable is capable of running the pumps in both the forward and reverse directions. Because of what you said in your description I think this is the cables you have.
    With this cable it uses two variable outputs to control one pump. One controls speed and the other controls direction. If you haven't understood that and programmed the ports to match then you could get this behavior.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by CoralFan1776 View Post
    When you say they run in reverse with the cable not plugged in, which end are you referring to?
    If you have the cable unplugged from the icecap module for the apex and the pumps are running in either direction then I think you can say there is something wrong with the module.
    If you have the 3.5mm end plugged in and the rj45 end unplugged then make sure the 3.5mm plug is in all the way. Also check it with the 3.5mm end unplugged.

Also for clarity, there are two different cables for these modules.
    One has a single rj45 that goes to two 3.5mm ends. This cable is referred to as a Y cable and is only capable of running the pumps in the forward direction. You can run two pumps from one rj45 port with it.

The other cable type is one rj45 that ends in one 3.5mm plug. This cable is capable of running the pumps in both the forward and reverse directions. Because of what you said in your description I think this is the cables you have.
    With this cable it uses two variable outputs to control one pump. One controls speed and the other controls direction. If you haven't understood that and programmed the ports to match then you could get this behavior.

When i say they run in reverse I mean the pumps only run in reverse at one speed. I can not get them to slow down or speed up.

I have contacted BRS, Neptune and Coralvue so far no luck.

I have the Y cable that came with the modules. This cable should only allow the pumps to run in the forward direction which is what I want. The Y cable is plugged into the variable speed port 1/2 . The port lights are on.the ends of the Y cable then are plugged into the modules. They are seated properly, I triple checked. The power supplies connect to the modules and the pumps connect to the modules. Both modules bad?

Regular Vistor
    It doesn't make sense and I've been trying everything within the Apex thinking I have something wrong set. I have tried the wizard, I have just set the ports to on, I have downloaded other Gyre profiles... No luck. It shouldn't be this hard to get 2 pumps under the control of the Apex.

Quote Originally Posted by Rshashaty View Post
    It doesn't make sense and I've been trying everything within the Apex thinking I have something wrong set. I have tried the wizard, I have just set the ports to on, I have downloaded other Gyre profiles... No luck. It shouldn't be this hard to get 2 pumps under the control of the Apex.

Determining if the problem is apex side or gyre side is pretty easy if you have a multimeter. Set V1 and V2 to manual on and place your voltmeter on DC setting between the tip and the sleeve of the Y connector. If you get 10V ish then the problem is module side. If you get 0, the problem is cable or apex side.

Frequent Visitor
    I’m assuming the status light on the interface modules are NOT on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    I’m assuming the status light on the interface modules are NOT on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Correct after they do their cycle they go off and just the power light is on. I ordered the other cable that has only one 3.5 side to see is that fixes the issue. Some people are saying I'm using the wrong cable which I doubt because I cant get the pumps to go into a forward direction or change speed.