Thread: LSM module understanding of programming

Frequent Visitor

LSM module understanding of programming

I’ve read and read many many post but still just unsure. What I’ve done is plug in my LSM and put in advance code...

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Moon 000/000 Then ON

I left the graph and intensity default. I did go and modify my new moon dates and moonrise and moon set times via website listed on the sticky for my area. (MN). I left temp and sunrise and set alone. At this point just let it go? Is it normal during the night to have some nights completely dark and some nights with 80% plus? I’m new to reef keeping and don’t want to screw up fish and coral night cycle. I’ve seen some people putting in a percent instead of ON. Isnt that defeating then natural moon cycle of the program ? Thanks ahead of time.

It is normal for some nights to have full intensity, 0%, or anywhere in between. The moon is sometimes up during the day, and sometimes at night. This is how the moon works in the real world.

Moon is a special case when it comes to intensity. Any percent you use (ON is 100%) is multiplied by the moon intensity for that day, so using a percent just changes the peak intensity at full moon if the lights are too bright for your liking.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    The leds are not too bright for me. I have no issue with the program doing its thing, as long as it’s correct and “not too bright “ for the inhabitants. I’ve seen some people putting in a time difference plus minus to correct the time versus South China Sea. Do I need to make that change? I’m in MN. what or where do I figure out the time difference? To add that line of code?

Quote Originally Posted by winty03 View Post
    The leds are not too bright for me. I have no issue with the program doing its thing, as long as it’s correct and “not too bright “ for the inhabitants. I’ve seen some people putting in a time difference plus minus to correct the time versus South China Sea. Do I need to make that change? I’m in MN. what or where do I figure out the time difference? To add that line of code?
    Correcting for your time zone would be more realistic so the cycles line up more. If you don't use seasonal lighting and temp along with it, it honestly makes no difference. I would not correct for latitude though, since most corals are in the same latitudes as the south China sea.

Frequent Visitor
    I do not use seasonal lighting. I run a MaxSpect Razor that has its own standalone programming/set points....at this point, possible upgrades later So I don't use any of the seasonal info or temps. What I have done is updated moon rise/sets, and sun rise/sets along with new moons for the upcoming new year. So you would suggest just running the program

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If Moon 000/000 Then ON

and let it do its thing. It's not going to harm anything or keep anything "up" ? I was concerned with moon lighting at 80-90% fish wouldn't go to sleep or allow fish to rest.

So does it use the default lunar schedule (below) at all? Or is it using it to base the intensity off that and the timing of the new moon?

lsm sch.JPG

That wizard is the default wizard for any variable speed port. If you program them using that, it won't simulate the lunar cycle at all and just turn on and off every day.

As long as the lunar lights are dim enough, fish will still rest during night hours even during a full moon. If your fish appear to be active but are not showing spawning behavior, then you can dim the lights more using a percent instead of ON for the moon line.