Thread: Surge Supressor, or no?

Regular Vistor

Question Surge Supressor, or no?

I'm starting to think maybe I should throw a surge supressor on before my EB's. One that came to mind was one of the isobar 4 outlet ones (just because it has all the little warning lights), but I note that it's only 12A, so I need to be a bit careful there in what I chain in.

Does anyone else do this? Are we all just living on the edge? (I'm not talking GFCI here, just surge, I have GFCI, and don't want to debate that whole mess ).

NSI Member
    the EB's are equipped with 15 amp surge protectors.

EnergyBars have circuit breakers, not surge suppressors.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

The apex is sensitive to voltage spikes, so I consider a surge protector a necessity. You should always buy 15A rated surge protectors for safety sake. 12A surge protectors can start fires.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    What surge suppressors do people use? The one I was thinking about was this:
    https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-4-o...s~ISOBAR4ULTRA

When I say 12A, I mean most of them have only 12A circuit breakers in them. I haven't been able to find any decent looking ones that have 15A Circuit breakers. If there are better ones, please tell!

Quote Originally Posted by garbled View Post
    What surge suppressors do people use? The one I was thinking about was this:
    https://www.tripplite.com/isobar-4-o...s~ISOBAR4ULTRA

When I say 12A, I mean most of them have only 12A circuit breakers in them. I haven't been able to find any decent looking ones that have 15A Circuit breakers. If there are better ones, please tell!
    I personally use a UPS that has built in surge protection for my main tank and then I just used some random leftover surge protector for my biocube.

One that has a breaker built in would limit the potential loading of your tank and I would not recommend using one even if your tank will always be less than 12A. The reason is that a 12A breaker does not coordinate with a 15A breaker, so that just means two breakers will trip if there is a fault downstream of the surge protector. The only time a 12A breaker would be beneficial is if you had other things plugged into the same circuit, you house uses 20A circuits, and you will never have more than 10A of load on your apex.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    It’s strange that the surge suppressor you linked has a 12A breaker when it’s built for 15A. Maybe it’s 12A per outlet? Either way, there are surge suppressors with 15A breakers in them.

It’s a bit more expensive, but you can also consider getting a whole-house surge suppressor. That way other things in your house are protected as well.