Thread: why use profiles? confused

New User

why use profiles? confused

Hello,

Recently got the Xr30's and attached them using WXM. I see the configuration wizard i guess where you can set intensity etc, but have been reading on forums about using profiles and virtual outlets. I guess i am confused and haven't found the right post. Why use profiles and not the graphs.

Thanks,

Cheezehead

NSI Member
    I personally use the profiles and virtual outlets so that I can have a different light schedule for the weekend. for instance during the week the lights start to come on at 1045 and go out at 2215 (set by the wizard). On the weekends I want the lights to come on earlier, so I utilized 9 profiles and 9 VO's to have a "weekend" light schedule.

But for the most part most people just use the wizard to program the lights.

Regular Vistor
    I believe you cannot use the seasonal Sun statements with the wizard. The wizard sets a curve for a specific timeframe, where doing something like If Sun 0/0 Profile or whatever will let you do a ramp up/down that moves according to the season.

I find the wizard easier to use, but if you want seasonal lighting, you probably have to use profiles to get a ramp up rather than a sudden on.

Profiles have been around since Day 1 of the Apex. The graphical wizards/schedulers came a few years later. In general you should use the wizard to create a lighting schedule. It’s much easier and has a number of advantages over using profiles for the main lighting schedule. But you can mix them too - use the wizard for the daily lighting schedule then add in some programming using profiles for a n-demand things like temporarily setting a spectrum and intensity tailored for taking photos.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Okay thanks for the answers. i guess i will stick the wizard for now. I can always build the profiles and save them off the guide posted on the sticky and adjust for Radion colors and maybe experiment later. One other quick question. My T5 fixture had LED's for night lights when the bulbs shut off. I see all kinds of lunar talk on the Radions. Is it as simple as adjusting the two blue spectrums i have read on the forums to 100 percent and 1 percent overall power. Does my question make sense.