Thread: Confused about new systems versus old systems

New User

Question Confused about new systems versus old systems

I'm starting a new tank and want to buy a Neptune system but I can't tell what the new system does versus the old accessories. It appears the new system (still confused about what to call it) incorporates a lot of the features that used to be sold as 'accessories' to the old system. For example, I have a set of powerheads and want to be able to have the 'new system' create various pulse/wave patterns. Can this be done via programming on the 'new' system or do i have to buy an Apex Wav pump system (I currently have 2 standard non-Apex powerheads). Is there a list of modules that I do not need to purchase because the new system now incorporates these? For each of the built-in features is there a list/table that specifies 'Apex-ready required' versus 'all standard systems supported'? Back to the new system name confusion... when I search for Neptune Apex i get a variety of search results, modules (wireless module for example) and videos dating back some years. 'Neptune Apex' appears to be somewhat of a general brand and it's really making it hard for me to sort through what's old and what's new. I suspect this new system has invalidated some of the modules and external features of the older system. Also, I've read that there have been some firmware issues with some of the first-ship products that some enthusiasts had to ship back for repair. Have new products (new Apex) available and shipping corrected some of these issues? Thanks in advance!

- The new version has a better user interface that can all be done in fusion rather than requiring local access for some things.
    - built in wifi
    - built in 1 link ports
    - built in 24V acc ports
    - built in cond probe port
    - amps/watts monitoring on individual outlets.
    - compatible with future modules like the Triton.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    From what I gather, the "New Apex" is referred to as just Apex or Apex 2016, with the "Old Apex" called Apex Classic. For an average user there's not much that the apex classic can't do compared to the Apex 2016. The Apex 2016 has made it possible to eliminate a couple modules like the 1link, PM2 and possibly the PM1 module. The wifi capabilities are great for someone that doesn't have a convenient way to directly plug in the Apex. The biggest selling point is that it has the foundation in place for future expansions. As Neptune continues to roll out new products, you'll either not be able to use it with the classic or have to buy a module to incorporate it (if that's even an option).

If you know that you're going to expand with neptune systems products then the Apex 2016 might be worth it, but if you're simply going to use it within the parameters that have been established by many hobbyist in the past then the classic might very well suit you.

Frequent Visitor
    Another benefit of the new Apex is the ability to update firmware over WiFi.