Thread: Anyone know how to extend the probe cables or get probes with longer cables?

Regular Vistor

Anyone know how to extend the probe cables or get probes with longer cables?

I'm finishing the set-up of my parents' 600 gallon L shaped aquarium. We are using a meet in the middle sump design, so the probe area is about 15 feet from the controller board, by length of cable run. I tried splicing some old probes together and only the temperature probe seems to have responded well. I used solder shrink junctions for the connections. The ORP is reading 0, the pH is probably reading low at 6.76 and the salinity is high at 42.7 (SG is actually 1.023). Temp seems right on.

Anyway, does anyone know where I can get probes with longer cables that are compatible with the Apex? My LFS reached out to Neptune and they said they don't have a solution.

Thanks.

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    The best way to approach this is to place the Apex head unit within reach of the probes, then use longer AquaBus cables to link your Apex to the Energy Bar and other modules. You can get AquaBus cables up to 125 feet long.

If you can't get the controller closer for some reason (that is the best recommendation), you should extend the probes with a BNC extension cable (and a couple if you are using male to male cables). Coaxial or BNC cable should never be spliced.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    We're building a nice controller board, so it feels bad to hide the Apex, but I'll probably be able to find a place buried deep under the tank.

The cables are twisted copper wire, so I didn't think of them as coaxial. If they had been solid, I obviously would have realized they couldn't be joined with solder the same way.

Thanks for the input.