Thread: Apex 2016 Sality Probe success!!

New User

Apex 2016 Sality Probe success!!

After 3 failed attempts. 6 pissed off attempts(failed even harder). Many apex resets, many salinity probe resets and reading countless help me posts by others (mostly responded to by a gentleman know as Zombie) At 8:47 PM EST I was finally able to bring my dreaded salinity probe into calibration.

You may ask yourself. How did he do it. Well in my specific case I had to take all other variables out of the equation.

A. Leave the salinity probe in the sump for at least one day to build up biofilm.
    Extends time between next calibration.
    B. Acclimate calibration solution in sump.
    Eliminating temperature compensation issues
    C. Acclimate a jar of RODI water in sump.
    Eliminating temperature compensation issues
    D. Pull temperature probe and salinity probe out of wire pathway and route directly from apex head unit to the sump.
    Eliminating any electrical interference.
    E. Unplug salinity probe and do a hyper fast manual calibration to reset the numbers.
    Recommended step by sir Zombie (97 times)
    F. Program 2.2% temperature compensation and start a manual calibration
    G. Remove salinity probe from sump water
    H. Gently rinse salinity probe in aclimated RODI water and flick water across the room being careful not to send the probe flying.
    I. Wipe off outside of salinity probe with soft dry cloth
    J. Wait at least 5 minutes for the numbers to settle on the first step. When the numbers settle accept and prepair for the next step.
    K. Cut the APEX specific salinity calibration solution horizontally across the top
    L. Place your temperature probe and your salinity probe in the APEX specific salinity calibration solution and place the pouch back in the sump carefully not to let water get in
    M. Flick the salinity probe gently multiple times at the top to try and dislodge any air bubbles trapped in the probe.
    N. Now proceed to the next step and allow the numbers at least five minutes to settle hit ok once the numbers have settled and the calibration is complete
    O. Gently rinse the salinity probe and temperature probe in RODI water and place in the same chamber in sump. (Return chamber for me)
    P. Gently flick the salinity probe a few times to dislodge any air bubbles
    Q. Allow the temperature and salinity probe to acclimate to the chamber and enjoy your hopefully calibrated Salinity Probe.

Hope this helps someone.

NSI Member
    Outstanding directions, I'm going to attempt this and hopefully get accurate readings from this probe.

Before I start, what's a "hyper fast manual calibration"?

Quote Originally Posted by sisterlimonpot View Post
    Outstanding directions, I'm going to attempt this and hopefully get accurate readings from this probe.

Before I start, what's a "hyper fast manual calibration"?
    You can do it either by unplugging the probe, doing a manual calibration, and then just click through next. If you don't unplug the probe first, you can still "reset" the probe by just scrolling through next really fast. I prefer to unplug because sometimes you don't click fast enough and the probe doesn't reset right on the former.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    Nope, still getting 33ppt... Here's what I don't get, I haven't even removed the probe from the 35ppt solution and the probe is still reading 33ppt.

Can you help me understand that ?

Nope, still getting 33ppt... Here's what I don't get, I haven't even removed the probe from the 35ppt solution and the probe is still reading 33ppt.

Can you help me understand that ?
    Try resetting a few times then calibrate twice. Does it still show 33ppt? If so, contact support and just pretend 33ppt is 35ppt until they can figure out the issue.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Out of curiosity what temperature is your thermostat reading?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NSI Member
    78-78.5

New User
    78-78.5
    That is odd the 9 bad calibrations that I experienced all were higher than the solution. How close did you follow the way that worked for my situation?

NSI Member
    to the "T". since posting, I've even tried distilled water. I submitted a support ticket and because I'm limited to how much calibration fluid I have left, I'm now trying different salinity levels of calibration fluid using table salt (verifying it with the hanna digital refractometer) to try and manipulate the end result to read accurate tank salinity.

One thing that I wish I did from the beginning is to document the numbers that are displayed during dry and wet calibration to see the correlation between those and the end result.

New User
    to the "T". since posting, I've even tried distilled water. I submitted a support ticket and because I'm limited to how much calibration fluid I have left, I'm now trying different salinity levels of calibration fluid using table salt (verifying it with the hanna digital refractometer) to try and manipulate the end result to read accurate tank salinity.

One thing that I wish I did from the beginning is to document the numbers that are displayed during dry and wet calibration to see the correlation between those and the end result.
    Some one mentioned table salt mixing method. I do wish I would have know about it before I invested in 15 packets of calibration solution. Please keep us updated on your findings.

NSI Member
    Solution salinity
    TC Tank Temp
    Dry Reading
    Wet Reading Result in the Solution Result in the Tank
    35 2.2 78.3 782 -1 40
    35 2.2 78.3 781 492 31.6 31.9
    Reboot 35 2.2 78.5 82 554 36 33.2
    35 2.2 78.5 65 560 34.9 33.1
    35 2.2 78.3 66 66 37.9 32.8
    Reboot 35 2.2 78.1 66 545 34.9 34.1
    I ended up rebooting the apex twice, first time was because the dry readings wouldn't fall into range, the second time was when the wet reading was the same as the dry. Finally the last attempt fell within the accuracy range of the probe.

One thing that neptune support impressed upon was the importance of the dry probe. They suggested to blow it with a can of air to remove any water droplets trapped inside.

New User

Apex 2016 Sality Probe success!!

Solution salinity
    TC Tank Temp
    Dry Reading
    Wet Reading Result in the Solution Result in the Tank
    35 2.2 78.3 782 -1 40
    35 2.2 78.3 781 492 31.6 31.9
    Reboot 35 2.2 78.5 82 554 36 33.2
    35 2.2 78.5 65 560 34.9 33.1
    35 2.2 78.3 66 66 37.9 32.8
    Reboot 35 2.2 78.1 66 545 34.9 34.1
    I ended up rebooting the apex twice, first time was because the dry readings wouldn't fall into range, the second time was when the wet reading was the same as the dry. Finally the last attempt fell within the accuracy range of the probe.

One thing that neptune support impressed upon was the importance of the dry probe. They suggested to blow it with a can of air to remove any water droplets trapped inside.
    Outstanding!! I was going to use compressed air but figured it would void some warranty or something thanks for the update!