Thread: Difference between traditional pumps and peristaltic pumps?

Hamburg Mattenfilter

Difference between traditional pumps and peristaltic pumps?

I currently have my AWC done using QuietOne pumps which complete the process in 1 hour. However, I'm currently looking to switch over to doing continuous waterchanges via a Stenner dual-head pump. And use my traditional pumps for emergencies. What benefits will that offer me?

Peristilic are significantly more accurate and repeatable in the amounts they add/remove. I would advise against the stenner though since the prices of those are similar or more than the DOS and the DOS has a lot more useful features including independent calibration.

The advantage of continuous is much more stable parameters and less work at the expense of slightly more saltwater use to remove the same amount of nutrients.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Peristilic are significantly more accurate and repeatable in the amounts they add/remove. I would advise against the stenner though since the prices of those are similar or more than the DOS and the DOS has a lot more useful features including independent calibration.

The advantage of continuous is much more stable parameters and less work at the expense of slightly more saltwater use to remove the same amount of nutrients.

I love the DOS; but the question becomes is it as robust as the Stenner?

Quote Originally Posted by Raul-7 View Post
    I love the DOS; but the question becomes is it as robust as the Stenner?
    For the intended purpose yes. If the stenner gets slightly different diameter tubes or one tube collects a little bit of gunk, you need to replace the entire head to "calibrate" it since both heads are fixed flow rate. If the same happens on a DOS, a quick calibration will get them back in check. The only thing that makes the stenner more "reliable" is the lack of electronics that are more likely to fail than a motor, but that is as much of a disadvantage as an advantage since you lose a bunch of useful features to have that.

Hamburg Mattenfilter
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    For the intended purpose yes. If the stenner gets slightly different diameter tubes or one tube collects a little bit of gunk, you need to replace the entire head to "calibrate" it since both heads are fixed flow rate. If the same happens on a DOS, a quick calibration will get them back in check. The only thing that makes the stenner more "reliable" is the lack of electronics that are more likely to fail than a motor, but that is as much of a disadvantage as an advantage since you lose a bunch of useful features to have that.

True; the DOS is ideal. I'll have to research it more.