Thread: Cant control outputs

New User

Cant control outputs

I'm setting the alias for the return pump to Pump and say " Alexa, tell apex fusion to turn pump off" and she stays silent then times out. This happens with any output I try to edit. What am I missing?

New User
    I'm having the same issue. I setup an alias for my skimmer(The Skimmer), so I say "Alexa, ask apex fusion to turn the skimmer off. It just spins the blue and green curcle, then times out.

Sometimes it will work, but only about 1/4 of the time.

If you're not getting any reply, it means that Alexa isn't even recognizing that you're trying to talk to Apex Fusion. Try pronouncing 'Apex Fusion' slightly differently. For me, it works best if I overemphasize the 'A' in Apex.

After that, if now reaching Apex Fusion but still having issues controlling devices, try changing device aliases; best if the names are not too short and I also avoid the word 'the'.

Also, this is how I speak to Alexa. I've found that it gives me the best success.

Alexa, tell Apex Fusion: "Stop Right Powerhead"

Alexa, tell Apex Fusion: "Restart Right Powerhead"

Quote Originally Posted by Veetz89 View Post
    I'm setting the alias for the return pump to Pump and say " Alexa, tell apex fusion to turn pump off" and she stays silent then times out. This happens with any output I try to edit. What am I missing?
    Quote Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
    I'm having the same issue. I setup an alias for my skimmer(The Skimmer), so I say "Alexa, ask apex fusion to turn the skimmer off. It just spins the blue and green curcle, then times out.

Sometimes it will work, but only about 1/4 of the time.
    Can you both try using "start" and "stop" instead of "turn X on" and "turn X off"?

I've been working with Amazon's support team to identify why this happens. It would be really helpful if you both could go into your Alexa account and provide some information for the Amazon support team.

1. Log in to Amazon Alexa from a computer (Direct Link)
    2. Go to Settings > Alexa Account > History (Direct Link)
    3. Open each of the commands that failed
    4. Copy the URL of the failed command and post it here

The URLs should look something like this: alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings/dialogs/A22M1B8AA75EBT#1538153145756#A2IVLV5VM2W81#C0DFF22 6D66D479D986C6293F641B839

Amazon's support team has instructed me to collect as many examples of this happening as possible. Let me know if there are any issues.

Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    If you're not getting any reply, it means that Alexa isn't even recognizing that you're trying to talk to Apex Fusion. Try pronouncing 'Apex Fusion' slightly differently. For me, it works best if I overemphasize the 'A' in Apex.

After that, if now reaching Apex Fusion but still having issues controlling devices, try changing device aliases; best if the names are not too short and I also avoid the word 'the'.

Also, this is how I speak to Alexa. I've found that it gives me the best success.

Alexa, tell Apex Fusion: "Stop Right Powerhead"

Alexa, tell Apex Fusion: "Restart Right Powerhead"

I'm not going to tell you to change what you're doing if it's working for you, but you should actually have better results by making it as natural sounding as possible. For example, I would issue the command "Alexa, ask Apex Fusion to restart the Right Powerhead". Using short separator words like "to" and "the" dramatically improve the recognition in all my tests.

Hi Joe. Thank you for the feedback. I did it the way you suggest at first, for quite awhile. It worked well. But this way works better for me, without the short words, hard to say why. I do put a very slight pause in before the "quote".

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Can you both try using "start" and "stop" instead of "turn X on" and "turn X off"?

I've been working with Amazon's support team to identify why this happens. It would be really helpful if you both could go into your Alexa account and provide some information for the Amazon support team.

1. Log in to Amazon Alexa from a computer (Direct Link)
    2. Go to Settings > Alexa Account > History (Direct Link)
    3. Open each of the commands that failed
    4. Copy the URL of the failed command and post it here

The URLs should look something like this: alexa.amazon.com/spa/index.html#settings/dialogs/A22M1B8AA75EBT#1538153145756#A2IVLV5VM2W81#C0DFF22 6D66D479D986C6293F641B839

Amazon's support team has instructed me to collect as many examples of this happening as possible. Let me know if there are any issues.
    Going through those links(thanks by the way), I can see that alexa didn't understand me. Quite often apex fusion was heard as something totally different. No need to post the logs as I see it's my speaking and not how alexa uses the skill.