Thread: How to set up app for Internet access

How to set up app for Internet access

I just discovered the new android app which is working but oy over Wi-Fi how do I set it up for use over the Internet when WiFi isn't available.

Thanks

You don’t do anything within the app. The app simply uses the Android device’s active network connection. If the phone is connected to WiFi, it’ll use WiFi, otherwise it’ll use cellular.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. Mine doesn't it loses connection with WiFi connection off, displaying a red notification icon as opposed to green. I get a connection timed out message

Post a screenshot of that. It sounds to me like you are using the old obsolete app.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks, so I was, as when I changed phones I'd copied it over when I cloned my old phone. I've been able to load in the new app which is working fine though disappointing that I dont have the option of a widget to show measurements in real time on my home screen. I did have the old app working for a time (before fusion) and I'd like to get it running again without Wi-Fi. Looking at the settings on the old app it looks like all I need is the SSID and WANHost information, where can I find this? I sure I did it before when I had this app running though I do seem to remember at the time I had to set up my entire Apex to work via the internet, including having a static IP from a third party. Would that still tbe case to get the widget running?

Quote Originally Posted by Reefman View Post
    Thanks, so I was, as when I changed phones I'd copied it over when I cloned my old phone. I've been able to load in the new app which is working fine though disappointing that I dont have the option of a widget to show measurements in real time on my home screen. I did have the old app working for a time (before fusion) and I'd like to get it running again without Wi-Fi. Looking at the settings on the old app it looks like all I need is the SSID and WANHost information, where can I find this? I sure I did it before when I had this app running though I do seem to remember at the time I had to set up my entire Apex to work via the internet, including having a static IP from a third party. Would that still tbe case to get the widget running?
    Wanhost is your DDNS server name or public IP address after port forwarding is set up. SSID is your wifi SSID name.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The old app is discontinued and no longer supported. To use it away from the location of the Apex requires a lot of hassle, including configuring port forwarding in your router. As a network engineer for over 25 years, I strongly recommend against using port forwarding. It represents a significant security concern. Neptune also no longer recommends using port forwarding. Because the new APEX Fusion app communicates with Apex Fusion (which resides out on the Internet and is accessible from anywhere), not with the Apex directly, there is no need to go through the hassle and take the risks associated with port forwarding. The new app also adds the option to receive alerts from APEX Fusion as Android push notifications, a big advantage over the old app.

Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    The old app is discontinued and no longer supported. To use it away from the location of the Apex requires a lot of hassle, including configuring port forwarding in your router. As a network engineer for over 25 years, I strongly recommend against using port forwarding. It represents a significant security concern. Neptune also no longer recommends using port forwarding. Because the new APEX Fusion app communicates with Apex Fusion (which resides out on the Internet and is accessible from anywhere), not with the Apex directly, there is no need to go through the hassle and take the risks associated with port forwarding. The new app also adds the option to receive alerts from APEX Fusion as Android push notifications, a big advantage over the old app.
    Thanks Russ, the attraction of the old version was the widget to display real time readings from my tank which as far as I'm aware isn't available with the new app. Can you eplain a little more on push notificationts that you mention as I already get emails from Fusion when alarm conditions are triggered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Wanhost is your DDNS server name or public IP address after port forwarding is set up. SSID is your wifi SSID name.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thanks