Thread: New Apex user

New User

New Apex user

Hello all! New to the world of using an Apex controller. I bought this controller used off a local reefer. The apex classic. Not really sure where to began. Ive read the "getting started" post and its all a bit confusing. Don't know anything about programming. I do have everything currently connected and hooked up. Downloaded fusion and see all the previous presets i believe from its original owner. I have 3 float switches an auto top off and return pump to program. Got my heater hooked up correctly i believe, maybe lol. Anyways I'm a bit overwhelmed, thats why I'm here. thank you!!

NSI Member
    Welcome aboard. If you would like someone to check your heater program, go ahead and post it.

For an auto top off you would program the outlet that the ATO pump is plugged into based on the status of the float switches. I am assuming you have a breakout box that the float switches are connected to. For my example I have 2 float switches labeled high and low. If the low one closes I want to turn on the pump and leave it on until the water level is high enough to open it again. The high switch is used as a backup. If the water level ever gets that high it means the low switch failed and it should shut off the ATO pump. I also have feed B set so I can quickly shut off the ATO during water changes. Let us know how you want your switches to work and we can help you with code.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If SumpLW CLOSED Then ON
    If SumpHg OPEN Then OFF
    If FeedB 000 Then OFF

A good rule of thumb with the position of the float switches is have the "open" status shut things off and the closed status turn them on. The reason for this is that a switch will read as open if the wire ever comes loose from the break out box. You can usually flip over a float switch to change the reading position to what you want. (one way the high position reads open, flipped, the high position reads closed).

For the return pump you usually just want to leave it on all the time unless you want to add a feed mode. Here's the code with the optional Feed A set to temporarily shut it off.

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 000 Then OFF

New User
    Thank you. Yes i do have a breakout box. Ok, so i have 3 floats. 1 low like almost at the bottom of the sump where my plumbing for my pump return is at, 1 medium, 1 high almost at the top. I have an auto resvoir and pump ready to be plugged in. I don't know what the 3rd top one is for. Basically I'm good with configuring it how you have it setup without the 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocknroller View Post
    Thank you. Yes i do have a breakout box. Ok, so i have 3 floats. 1 low like almost at the bottom of the sump where my plumbing for my pump return is at, 1 medium, 1 high almost at the top. I have an auto resvoir and pump ready to be plugged in. I don't know what the 3rd top one is for. Basically I'm good with configuring it how you have it setup without the 3rd.
    I would move your top one down so it's a 1/2" or so higher than your middle one. What he calls low would be your middle one. What he calls high would be your top one. Your low one should actually disable your ATO and shut off your return.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Oh ok i see. So if the bottom float were to drop it would shut of my return? Makes sense. So the bottom and top is for emergency, the middle is for top off?

Oh ok i see. So if the bottom float were to drop it would shut of my return? Makes sense. So the bottom and top is for emergency, the middle is for top off?
    Yep. For shutting off the return I like to use the below approach (assumes up is open low is closed), which shuts off the return for 1 hour if the low switch is reached and then tries to turn it back on every hour in case the switch just got stuck in the wrong position by a snail or something.

LowSump (VO)
    Set OFF
    If LowSwitchName CLOSED Then ON
    Defer 000:30 Then ON
    Min Time 060:00 Then ON

Return
    (Existing code)
    If Output LowSump = ON Then OFF

New User
    IMG_8381.jpgok so here they are my 3 floats

New User
    So i put this code in which ever outlet i use for my auto pump?

So i put this code in which ever outlet i use for my auto pump?
    You would start off with the code in post #2 to verify function in your ATO pump. Once function is verified, you would want some failsafes using this format.

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATOnormal = CLOSED Then ON
    If ATOhigh = OPEN Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    When On > 005:00 Then OFF
    Min Time 060:00 Then OFF

The code I provided for your return, the LowSump is a virtual outlet which you need to create and the code goes in there and what I showed for the return would be added to the end of your existing return code.

New User
    Ok I've copied and pasted that code from post 2 into the configuration and submit it keeps failing to send due to an error code

New User
    error message
    Attached Images Attached Images

You generally cannot just copy and paste code from the forum into the Apex - it is often given as an example, which needs to be adapted to be used on your system. The error you received is probably because you do not have a switch input named SumpLW. Rename the applicable switch input to SumpLW. Or if you have already named your switch inputs based on the location of the connected float switches, modify the program example to match.

For example, if you named the high float switch input SumpHi, then If SumpHg OPEN Then OFF will not work... you need yo change it to If SumpHi OPEN Then OFF
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Awesome pretty sure i got it