Thread: Kindle Fire 8 HD should support the Apex app

New User

Lightbulb Kindle Fire 8 HD should support the Apex app

The latest version of the Kindle Fire 8 HD's FireOS is 6.3.0.1 which runs Android 7.1 Nougat.
    This means it should support the latest version of the Apex Fusion app. As far as I know. it's only available on the Google Play store. This link explains how to install the play store and its dependencies without connecting the tablet to a computer or really mess with the settings:
    https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/instal...-store-fire-5/

Last tidbit of advice, there's a built-in option for FireOS where it never goes to sleep: https://vidabox.com/blog/2017/02/11/...-fire-tablets/

Hope this helps. I have a Kindle Fire 10 (Bigger is not better apparently...) and if someone can report success, I'm getting an 8.

Frequent Visitor LobsterOfJustice's Avatar
    I got a fire tablet last year for Christmas and unfortunately it is sitting on a shelf collecting dust because I can not figure out how to set it up as a display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    180g reef with all the bells and whistles

While FireOS is based on Android, it is no longer really Android nor is it fully compatible with many apps listed in Google Play. The APEX Fusion app for Android will not work properly on FireOS. One such case is that of push notifications; Amazon Fire devices uses a completely different mechanism for push notification, so even if you sideloaded the APEX Fusion app and it ran, you would not get push notifications, which is one of the big benefits of the app.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    By installing the play store and not side-loading, you get push notifications and other Google goodies. I don't have a Fire8 to test but I do get gmail notifications on my Fire 10 installed via the play store.
    When we call something based on Android, it usually means they do not have the GMS (Google Mobile Service). GMS is what lets you do push notification, in app purchase, the play store and other Google-centric stuff. I'm very curious to see if the app would not function as advertised if someone is running the latest version of FireOS AND installs the Play Store following the link I pasted above.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebnewbie View Post
    By installing the play store and not side-loading, you get push notifications and other Google goodies. I don't have a Fire8 to test but I do get gmail notifications on my Fire 10 installed via the play store.
    When we call something based on Android, it usually means they do not have the GMS (Google Mobile Service). GMS is what lets you do push notification, in app purchase, the play store and other Google-centric stuff. I'm very curious to see if the app would not function as advertised if someone is running the latest version of FireOS AND installs the Play Store following the link I pasted above.
    Russ means notifications from the app. Not from fusion sent to your gmail account.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    Russ means notifications from the app. Not from fusion sent to your gmail account.
    I meant the same thing. I was differentiating side-loading the Neptune app and installing it via a side-loaded playstore with GMS. Gmail was an example and it could have been candy crush. It was to prove that apps installed on FireOS via the playstore do provide native android notifications.

Frequent Visitor
    So just to confirm, you "can" side load the app and that will work but will not provide notifications. If so, that would be good enough for me.

New User
    If your Kindle 8 HD has the latest FireOS, you can side load the Google Services and install from the Play store. That way you can get notifications and auto updates.
    For any other Amazon device, you side load and have no notifications/auto updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Looking at the link above on how to do this, the files are no longer available. Is there an alternate method to side load the play store?

Frequent Visitor
    Got Play Store installed, Fusion is not compatible with my device. Hmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Aquattro View Post
    Got Play Store installed, Fusion is not compatible with my device. Hmm..
    The trick doesn't work if you have a gen 7 and not a gen 8 tablet. I have the original fire HD 8 and it gives me the same message since it runs an older fire OS that isn't compatible.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Implement return policy Thanks

New User
    Yes, it's only compatible with the Kindle Fire 8 HD. Technically, it's built with Android 7.1 Nougat, which the Apex app requires.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebnewbie View Post
    Yes, it's only compatible with the Kindle Fire 8 HD. Technically, it's built with Android 7.1 Nougat, which the Apex app requires.
    Took mine back, ordered the 8 HD, was supposed to arrive today.

Frequent Visitor
    Just a mention, I set this up fairly easily on the HD 8. Working well.

Frequent Visitor
    What is a push notification and why is it valuable?

Quote Originally Posted by Trailermann View Post
    Push notification is when you receive a message (usually at the top of the screen) to tell you something important has happened without you having to do anything to get the message. These notifications popup regardless of whether your phone/tablet is sleeping or you're in an app. They are important because they tell you something requires your immediate attention. A good example would be a leak detection sensor sensed water on the floor below your tank. You would want to know that ASAP so you could take care of that immediately before your tank is empty and your floor soaked.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Trailermann View Post
    To supplement bigjim's answer.
    Push notifications happens between your device and Google. The Android device has a special background application called a service, which listens for push notifications. In order to make things simple,. help with battery life, and help with privacy, there's one connection for all the apps and Google brokers them. So Neptune tells Google to notify user "abc" that their tank has a high temp. Google finds the connection to user "abc" and pushes the payload requested by Neptune.
    This is why you need the Google services to get push notifications to work; Google is the broker between Neptune and your tablet.

In theory Neptune could add their app to the Amazon store and use the Amazon push broken but since they require a recent version of Android and only the Fire 8 HD supports it, it's probably more hassles than it's worth.

Regular Vistor
    So an aside to this discussion, is the fire 8 HD a good or favored device to replace my old and very slow IPad mini? The iPad works with fusion very well but it’s very slow. Looks like I can get the fire for $60/70 range
    jim

New User
    I'd like to know this as well...I can't believe it's so difficult finding a recommended screen..an Neptune won't recommend one :-/ If the hire 8 hd works can someone provide a link to the specific model so we don't have to return anything?

Frequent Visitor
    Yes, I too would like the specifics for ordering the Fire8HD..Apparently, few if any are keen on using the 10' Fire for monitoring the Apex system.

New User
    Sure thing. This is the only Fire tablet that will work: https://www.amazon.com/All-New-Fire-.../dp/B0794RHPZD
    That is because it runs Android 7.1 base (Modified into FireOS 6.3.0.1).
    Once you have this device, you'll need to do two things to install the app:
    1) Install the Google services. This includes the Play store and other related services. You'll need to Google around a bit for that as sites come and go (My original link doesn't work anymore).
    2) Install Fusion from the Google Play store

I personally went with a Fire 10 because I like the larger size and use the web interface with a full screen browser. I don't need notifications on my tablet because I carry an iPhone. Some people want to run to app AND receive notifications (like a loud alarm?) on the tablet and for this you need what I described above.

Frequent Visitor
    VEry helpful. Thanks.