Thread: 3rd party dosing pumps

New User

3rd party dosing pumps

I'm trying to set up my BRS dosing pumps to dose alk. for 1 minute on the top of the hour and the other to dose calcium for 1 minute on the bottom of the hour. Presently have alk. pump on outlet 1, icon as clock, and control type as Powerhead. Configured as fallback off, Initial off time 000:00, On time 001:00, and Off time 059:00. Calcium pump in on outlet 2, icon as Light B, control type as Powerhead. Configured as Fallback off, Initial Off Time 030:00, On Time 001:00, Off Time 059:00. Both pumps come on and run for 30 seconds on the top of the hour and the calcium pump comes on for 30 seconds on the bottom of the hour. I don't understand what is wrong with the programing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I don’t say this from a point of knowledge but I read somewhere that the outlets have a 2 minute minimum on time so the way to get only a minute is program a two minute run event but immediately defer it 60 seconds from start- this leaving a full minute run time in the second 60 seconds.

Sorry I can’t say much else and hope I am not sending you down a wrong path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    So I am thinking the program may be (say a 1am start.

If 01:00 then on
    If 01:02 then off
    Defer 00:60 (syntax uncertain)

Do that for the intervals?

CRK1, the use of If Time statements is not suitable for dosing at repeated fixed intervals as Goose it trying to do.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    Presently have alk. pump on outlet 1, icon as clock, and control type as Powerhead. Configured as fallback off, Initial off time 000:00, On time 001:00, and Off time 059:00. Calcium pump in on outlet 2, icon as Light B, control type as Powerhead. Configured as Fallback off, Initial Off Time 030:00, On Time 001:00, Off Time 059:00. Both pumps come on and run for 30 seconds on the top of the hour and the calcium pump comes on for 30 seconds on the bottom of the hour. I don't understand what is wrong with the programing. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    The issue with your Ca output programming is that the total cycle time does not add up to 1 hour; it adds up to be 90 minutes, so it will dose at the top of the hour, then 90 minutes later, will dose at the bottom of that hour.
    In order to have the overall cycle time as 1 hour long, you need to adjust the Off Time to compensate for what you have as the Initial Off time. Change your Ca programming to:

Fallback off
    Initial Off Time 030:00
    On Time 001:00
    Off Time 029:00

That being said, the Powerhead control type is not ideal for doing dosing w/ BRS pumps. Instead, use the Advanced Control type. By using Advanced, you can add additional statements beyond the basic program to do other desirable things, like add a high pH cutoff for the Alk.

https://www.reeftronics.net/adpg/ is a tool I wrote many years ago to easily generate programming specifically for the type of dosing scenario you want. Please give it a try.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor

3rd party dosing pumps

Thanks @RussM.

Can you explain why that time interval is not appropriate (I am learning more)? Will check out the site you developed too!

Quote Originally Posted by CRK1 View Post
    Thanks @RussM.

Can you explain why that time interval is not appropriate (I am learning more)?
    If Time statements are fine to use for events that happen only one to a few times a day. But to do hourly dosing as the OP wishes to do, you’d have to use 24 If Time statements. The OSC (oscillate) command is specifically made for doing things at fixed repeated intervals - like operating power heads at frequent on/off intervals or doing dosing. Also, If Time has 1-minute granularity whereas OSC has 1-second granularity, making OSC far more suitable for precise operations such as dosing.

An example:

OSC 0/0:05/29:55 Then ON will operate a dosing pump for 5 seconds every 30 minutes. If you were to use If Time, you’d have to use 48 If Time statements plus a 49th statement containing a Defer.

Regular Vistor
    Excellent. Thanks for the reply!

Moved on...
    The OSC thing confuses me, do you know of any where I can read up on it any Russ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bedrock View Post
    The OSC thing confuses me, do you know of any where I can read up on it any Russ?
    Its explained in the user manual.

OSC is just a repeating pattern of ON and OFF states.

OSC 000:30/002:00/2:30 Then ON

Is off for 30 seconds, on for 2 minutes, off for 2 min 30 seconds and the pattern repeats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Moved on...
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Its explained in the user manual.

OSC is just a repeating pattern of ON and OFF states.

OSC 000:30/002:00/2:30 Then ON

Is off for 30 seconds, on for 2 minutes, off for 2 min 30 seconds and the pattern repeats

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OH ok got ya. I just got my Dos not long ago and having gotten use to all of it yet. thanks

OH ok got ya. I just got my Dos not long ago and having gotten use to all of it yet. thanks
    You should not use OSC w/ a DŌS. Use the DŌS wizard create a schedule for dosing or AWC.

The DŌS Get Started guide will walk you through setting up the DŌS properly and scheduling dosing or AWC
    https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/dos/

Moved on...
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You should not use OSC w/ a DŌS. Use the DŌS wizard create a schedule for dosing or AWC.

The DŌS Get Started guide will walk you through setting up the DŌS properly and scheduling dosing or AWC
    https://www.neptunesystems.com/getstarted/dos/
    You can but it in its auto set it uses t data. Yeah I looked over that guide when I got it. Dont use them a lot. I just use my knowledge of code that I got from web design school. Just never used the oscar before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You can but it in its auto set it uses t data.
    This is incorrect. If you add an OSC statement to the Advanced tab for the DŌS wizard, then that OSC statement will completely override the tdata generated by the wizard.