Thread: Dos dosing 2 part every 30 mins interval

Regular Vistor

Dos dosing 2 part every 30 mins interval

Hi guys, I’ve had a search through posts but can’t find the answer I’m after, I’m dosing 2 part (a/c) but I want to dose over a 24hr period but want the maximum gap between doses to avoid each other, is there a way to do this? Many thanks

You can with profiles, but if as long as you don't dose identical amounts over identical timespans, the dosing will be naturally offset by the wizard and the doses are so tiny that cross precipitation is not an issue even with a 30 second difference in the time dosed.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Ok, then I guess I’m good to go, I altered the the time spans so dos1 11.59-00.00 and dos2 11.45-23.45 if you know what I mean, many thanks for taking the time to answer

Frequent Visitor
    I'm setting mine up as I'm writing this...

So, if I set a start time of say 00:00 for my calcium and a start time say 00:15 for my Alk, and have them both end as 23:59, the wizard will automatically space the doses out so they aren't dosed at the same time?

I'm looking at the dosing log, and the dosing amounts seem super random so far and not evenly spaced. Is it because I just put this thing online late this afternoon? I'm used to a doser that fires ups at predetermined times each day and spits out a predetermined dose.

I also just noticed that it appears like the doser is dumping all these doses with in a minute or two of each other according to the log. Which doesn't make sense because I hear it going off as recently as a little while ago (it's 18:32 here). This thing is really loud compared to my old unit.

Thoughts?

DOS Log.png

Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
    I'm looking at the dosing log, and the dosing amounts seem super random so far and not evenly spaced.
    Go to the last page of the DŌS activity log (click the button below the ? button) and post a screenshot of that.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, now I feel stupid. I though the first page would be the most recent This is more what i thought it would look like as far as the dosages.

This seems like a ton of tiny doses. Is that a good idea versus say, dosing 12x a day, or even 24x?

When you look at lines 81 and 82, it's only dosing the two, 4 seconds apart.

That doesn't seem right, does it?

DOS Log 2.png

Ok, now I feel stupid. I though the first page would be the most recent This is more what i thought it would look like as far as the dosages.

This seems like a ton of tiny doses. Is that a good idea versus say, dosing 12x a day, or even 24x?

When you look at lines 81 and 82, it's only dosing the two, 4 seconds apart.

That doesn't seem right, does it?

DOS Log 2.png
    That isn't a problem. Since the dose is so tiny (a single drop is 1/4 ml so the dose is like 2 drops), the precipitation will be next to nothing on that close dose even though the two might drip almost simultaneously there. The goal is to get the doses spread apart from each other for the vast majority of doses.

Smaller more frequent doses have less precipitation even if the two were to coincide much more often than your activity log shows because high local concentration (which occurs when you do say 12-24 doses per day) precipitates more than a couple drops of Ca and ALK landing a couple inches from each other simultaneously. It's also more stable.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, great. Thanks for the info.

Now I have another issue... I had to take the unit offline and unplug a bunch of stuff. Plugged it all back in, and now the unit isn't dosing.

The orange indicator lights are on. And they turn blue when I manually turn on each pump. However, it doesn't appear to be auto dosing anymore. The programming has not change.

Thoughts? I'm clearly doing something wrong...

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, great. Thanks for the info.

Now I have another issue... I had to take the unit offline and unplug a bunch of stuff. Plugged it all back in, and now the unit isn't dosing.

The orange indicator lights are on. And they turn blue when I manually turn on each pump. However, it doesn't appear to be auto dosing anymore. The programming has not change.

Thoughts? I'm clearly doing something wrong...
    Ok, never mind. I had the dosing buttons set to "auto". As soon as I turned them to "on", the unit start working again.

Although, as I'm tying this, the unit appears to be running much longer than before. It is trying to catch up with all the doses it missed while the unit was off?

Ok, never mind. I had the dosing buttons set to "auto". As soon as I turned them to "on", the unit start working again.

Although, as I'm tying this, the unit appears to be running much longer than before. It is trying to catch up with all the doses it missed while the unit was off?
    They should be in AUTO not ON. ON will dose I believe 200ml over a few hours and then shut off. You do not want that to happen.

Frequent Visitor
    Ok, this is not good... I'm hoping this crazy thing didn't just nuke my tank. I have it set to 73ml/day for Alk and 57 ml/day for Ca.

When I set it to auto, it came on and seemed like it ran for a few minutes.

However, I just looked at the chart and it's showing that it dumped 200ml of each, simultaneously. When I looked at it, only Ca was running. Not sure what's happening here...

- - - Updated - - -

According to this, it dumped 200ml simultaneously over a matter of mins. Probably less than 3-5.

What the heck do I do now?

Attachment 9850

Attachment 9851

Attachment 9852

Frequent Visitor
    I just tested my Alk. 13.5. It's normally 9dkh. Uggggh. This is a SPS tank, not good. Crisis mode. Any idea what I do now?

I just tested my Alk. 13.5. It's normally 9dkh. Uggggh. This is a SPS tank, not good. Crisis mode. Any idea what I do now?
    25-50% water change. If you run carbon shut it off.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    25-50% water change. If you run carbon shut it off.

All I had on hand was enough for a 15% water change, which I just did. I'll pull the carbon out now and do another water change tomorrow morning.

All I had on hand was enough for a 15% water change, which I just did. I'll pull the carbon out now and do another water change tomorrow morning.
    If you dont get it back down to 9 quickly don't worry about it. Just don't run carbon until its below 10 and if you get it below 12 today they should be fine. If it's still above 12 I would consider making more tonight.

For the dashboard tile sliders, ON and OFF are manual overrides. Programming is only executed when a slider is in the AUTO position. By putting the DŌS sliders in the ON position, you told it to run, regardless of the programming. When a DŌS output is ON, the pump runs at a speed of medium-low speed of 25ml/minute. When you put the sliders in ON, what happened is it turned on @ 25ml/min right away, and then ran for 8 minutes - dosing 200ml exactly, and then a built-in protection mechanism kicked in and stopped the pump. If you had left the sliders in the ON position longer, it would have stayed off for 22 minutes then resumed running again for 8 minutes, shut off for 22 minutes, etc.

I am glad you caught your error fairly quickly, and I hope there is no long term impact.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    For the dashboard tile sliders, ON and OFF are manual overrides. Programming is only executed when a slider is in the AUTO position. By putting the DŌS sliders in the ON position, you told it to run, regardless of the programming. When a DŌS output is ON, the pump runs at a speed of medium-low speed of 25ml/minute. When you put the sliders in ON, what happened is it turned on @ 25ml/min right away, and then ran for 8 minutes - dosing 200ml exactly, and then a built-in protection mechanism kicked in and stopped the pump. If you had left the sliders in the ON position longer, it would have stayed off for 22 minutes then resumed running again for 8 minutes, shut off for 22 minutes, etc.

I am glad you caught your error fairly quickly, and I hope there is no long term impact.
    I still can't believe the DOS will do this all on it's own. Seems like a very odd feature with potentially awful consequences. No warnings in the software and nothing glaring in the documentation. I left the DOS off (power outlet and programming all night) and pulled the carbon as well as GFO to hopefully let this stabilize. I did the 15% water change immediately after suspect something was wrong and doing the Alk test and getting the 13.5ish reading.

Does the lighting or intensity of the lighting have anything to do with Alk or does it not matter?

It's down to 10.8 this morning, so that's a positive. Everything seems to look "ok".

I'll do another 15% this morning as soon as the water is ready.

I've never had a swing like this... Would everything go up in smoke immediately or do I have to keep worrying about this for a while? I have a ton of SPS colonies in there...

How will I know when I'm out of the woods on this one?

Your ALK is back down low enough now that reducing lighting shouldn't be required. Basically the danger zone is when you get an ALK spike along with a pH spike while lighting is high. That will ALK burn the tips. Since it happened at night and you did a water change quickly you might lose a sensitive one, but most or all should bounce back.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Your ALK is back down low enough now that reducing lighting shouldn't be required. Basically the danger zone is when you get an ALK spike along with a pH spike while lighting is high. That will ALK burn the tips. Since it happened at night and you did a water change quickly you might lose a sensitive one, but most or all should bounce back.

As much as this sucked and I'm exhausted today, I suppose happening so late was actually a blessing if something stupid was going to happen

I left the LED's off today and am only running the T5's. I'll do another 15% water change this afternoon and hopefully by tomorrow everything will be back to normal and I can resume my usual dosing.

I'm wondering if since it dumped both alk and ca at the same time, they kind of canceled each other out and minimized just how bad it could have been.

Everything surprisingly looks ok today (knock on wood).

I'm wondering if since it dumped both alk and ca at the same time, they kind of canceled each other out and minimized just how bad it could have been.
    This does help because they will precipitate out a bit more. If you had set only one head to ON, the other would have crashed as the levels hit the saturation point (ex if ALK left on, it would have plateaued at no more than 15 but would have plummeted Ca down to a few hundred ppt)

Frequent Visitor
    Looks like I got lucky (knocking on wood again) with them dumping at the same time, at night.

When I left the office yesterday evening, it was down to 9.8 dkh. Seems be dropping down at a reasonable pace.

I didn't bother with another water change yesterday as when I came into the office yesterday morning, it was down to 10.8 from the night before and my mix (Reef Crystals) generally comes out to 12 dkh, which may have brought it up another half point. So I just left it be with the doser off.

I'm going to check the dkh again when I get into the office this morning.

Appreciate everyone's help with this.

Frequent Visitor
    Update:

Starting dkh: 8.6
    Weds night: 13.5
    Thurs morning: 10.8
    Thurs evening: 9.8
    Fri afternoon: 8.4

I'm kind of shocked at how quickly it went down on its own. I only did one water change since Reef Crystals mixes at 12.5 dkh. While it probably helped bring it down a bit from 13.5, once it dropped below 12.5 it would have only hurt...

The corals all look pretty good. Slight color loss, but overall seem happy. I'm sure once it all stabilizes again, they'll brighten back up. I'd say they're about 10% off their usual color.

I started on the doser back up on Fri evening since I was back up to my normal dkh and didn't want a swing the other direction. The doser seems to be plugging right along, dumping small amounts around every 15 minutes or so.

I'm hoping I'm out of the woods now. Fingers crossed. Appreciate all the advice!

Dosing Schedule 1-5-19.png