Thread: EB832 - No Power

EB832 - No Power

My Energy Bar after 2 years has quit. It shows up on the Apex. I can turn the plugs on & off manually but there is no power to any of the plugs when they are showing on. The fuse is not tripped.

Anyone have any ideas? Is it trash?

Unplug it from the wall and press the fuse in. Unplug all of the cables from it then plug it back in. Verify the wall outlet has power. Check the outlets one at a time and see if the same behavior occurs. If it does contact support. You are out of warranty but if it is damaged, a repair is a lot cheaper than a whole new energy bar.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you for the suggestion of repair. I will check it out. It will make a good back up unit.

New User
    Did you get this fixed. Mine is a little over 2 years old and the exact thing happened. I tried customer support and they told to update the firmware and that didn't work. The next step would be to send it in and I'm not even sure it's worthing paying the money to ship and get it repaired.

Zombie

This question is a bit off topic but kind of related.

Is there a way the Apex Head Unit can detect when there is no power going to one of the multiple Energy bars connected to the same head unit, such a temporary power failure, and shut off certain outlets (some of the 8 outlets) in another Energy bar that still have power supplied to it?

Scenario background:

1. Energy bar 1 & Apex Head Unit is plugged in to a APC (computer power backup) Unit with power back up.
    2. Energy bar 2 is plugged in to a regular outlet.

Goal here is to turn of on low drain circulation / air pumps plugged into Energy bar 2, and shut off High drain circulation / air pumps plugged into Energy bar 2, when Energy Bar 2 has no power (plugged into a regular outlet when power fails).

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    When You're a NOOB, You need lots of help all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 2mk View Post
    Zombie

This question is a bit off topic but kind of related.

Is there a way the Apex Head Unit can detect when there is no power going to one of the multiple Energy bars connected to the same head unit, such a temporary power failure, and shut off certain outlets (some of the 8 outlets) in another Energy bar that still have power supplied to it?

Scenario background:

1. Energy bar 1 & Apex Head Unit is plugged in to a APC (computer power backup) Unit with power back up.
    2. Energy bar 2 is plugged in to a regular outlet.

Goal here is to turn of on low drain circulation / air pumps plugged into Energy bar 2, and shut off High drain circulation / air pumps plugged into Energy bar 2, when Energy Bar 2 has no power (plugged into a regular outlet when power fails).

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    If Power EB8name 000 Then OFF

Will shut an outlet down when no power is detected to that EB. It's a little finicky sometimes though and I have had it say power was good until I unplugged aquabus to that EB before. Only happened on a few firmware versions on the apex classic though and worked most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    If Power EB8name 000 Then OFF

Will shut an outlet down when no power is detected to that EB. It's a little finicky sometimes though and I have had it say power was good until I unplugged aquabus to that EB before. Only happened on a few firmware versions on the apex classic though and worked most of the time.

So where do I put this statement? Do I put it in the device's programming (pump, etc) that is desired to be shut down? My EB's are EB832's

So where do I put this statement? Do I put it in the device's programming (pump, etc) that is desired to be shut down? My EB's are EB832's
    In the device you want to control.

In the device you want to control.

Great Thanks!

Another question: If I want one outlet (EB832_2_8) to go off when another outlet in the same EB EB83_2_7) is shut down manually, would the statement be?: IF Power EB832_2_7 off THEN Power EB832_2_8 OFF

Great Thanks!

Another question: If I want one outlet (EB832_2_8) to go off when another outlet in the same EB EB83_2_7) is shut down manually, would the statement be?: IF Power EB832_2_7 off THEN Power EB832_2_8 OFF
    No. The If Power statement is only for when mains power to an energy bar is lost. If you want to relate the state of one outlet to another, you would use the if Output statement

If Output DeviceName = OFF Then OFF

No. The If Power statement is only for when mains power to an energy bar is lost. If you want to relate the state of one outlet to another, you would use the if Output statement

If Output DeviceName = OFF Then OFF

Me Dumb. Thanks again. Got it!

So to double verify:

If I want to shut down CHILLER_2_8 (on the same EB at outlet 8) when the MAINPUMP_2_7 is manually shut off. The statement would be:

If Outlet MAINPUMP_2_7 OFF Then OFF

Me Dumb. Thanks again. Got it!

So to double verify:

If I want to shut down CHILLER_2_8 (on the same EB at outlet 8) when the MAINPUMP_2_7 is manually shut off. The statement would be:

If Outlet MAINPUMP_2_7 OFF Then OFF
    Yes.

Smile

Yes.

Thank you as always.

Do the same power check for the UPS Energy Bar and put it in your email/alert outlet. UPS units have circuit breakers of their own. Or the circuit that feeds the UPS trips and you run down the battery without realizing it.

It's also possible to setup an outlet so that it reverts to a 'power save' mode when mains power is lost. For example a skimmer:

SKIMMER

OSC 000/10:00/20:00 Then ON
    If Power EB8name 000 Then ON
    If .... OFF
    etc

This makes the 'fallback' behavior run the skimmer for 10 minutes out of every 30 minutes. But, as long as there is mains power, this is overridden and the outlet is kept ON. You could still have additional overrides to turn the outlet OFF, such as when the main pump is OFF. Just be careful if you use any others to turn it ON as that would override the OSC.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd View Post
    Do the same power check for the UPS Energy Bar and put it in your email/alert outlet. UPS units have circuit breakers of their own. Or the circuit that feeds the UPS trips and you run down the battery without realizing it.

It's also possible to setup an outlet so that it reverts to a 'power save' mode when mains power is lost. For example a skimmer:

SKIMMER

OSC 000/10:00/20:00 Then ON
    If Power EB8name 000 Then ON
    If .... OFF
    etc

This makes the 'fallback' behavior run the skimmer for 10 minutes out of every 30 minutes. But, as long as there is mains power, this is overridden and the outlet is kept ON. You could still have additional overrides to turn the outlet OFF, such as when the main pump is OFF. Just be careful if you use any others to turn it ON as that would override the OSC.
    Todd

Thank you more insight in using a UPS.

After using Apex for a year, I am actually in the planning stage for a Power Fail Scenario in short term (a few minute to a few hours) and
    long term (Day to Week or more). I live i Hurricane country where we can sometimes loose power for a week or more, God forbid. Back up power needs to be ups at least 24 to 36 hours before other salvage measures can be taken.

Any suggestions how to tackle this problem?

The gears I am planning to run after a full overhaul of my 2 combine run tanks (55 Gal + 35 Gal + 25 gal Sump {approximate water volume to both tanks}) are:

Brand Model Spec Watts

1x AZOO Pump AZ15358 60 2.5
    4 x Hydor Koralia Nano 240 3.5
    1 x Hydor Koralia 2nd Gen 1350? 5.5
    1 x Maineland Maxi-Jet 1200 ML90512 20
    1 x Hydor Seltz 320 23
    1 x Red Sea Skimmer Pump (Hydor Seltz)? 740 55
    1 x Danner Pump 12 110
    1 x Teco SeaChill TR20 480
    1 x Marineland Sump Lights 32996 3
    1 x Hydor Koralia Evo 1500 7
    1 x Hydor Smart Level Control 50
    1 x OCTO Essence 130 Skimmer AQ-1800S 11
    1 x Hydor Koralia 2nd Gen 2450? 8.5?
    2 x Cobalt Aquatics USB Air Pump USB2 2
    2 x EB832
    1 x Apex Head Unit
    1 x WXM
    2 x FMM

*Choice of gear to remain on only (to stretched UPS power time) powered by APC ups will be the following:

2 x Cobalt Aquatics USB Air Pump USB2 2
    4 x Hydor Koralia Nano 240 3.5

QUESTIONS:

1. Any good ups you can suggest, and how large?

2. How do you suggest To have the EB832 to be plugged in? Both to UPS or Just one?

3. How you suggest me to cause/trip both EB832 plugged in to ups to just to power the above choice of remain on pumps to stay on while shutting off all other gear plugged in to both EB832? (I am lost here. Tripping caused by No power to one of the 2 EB382's or No power to the APex Head Unit, or some other way?)

Any Help is greatly appreciated

I used this UPS with two deep cycle marine batteries in parallel: https://www.tripplite.com/750w-power...outlets~APS750

There are a couple ways to handle the EBs. I chose to have one on mains and another on UPS. I use the mains EB to detect loss of power. Non-critical devices are on mains EB. When power is lost, those on mains will obviously just not operate. The UPS EB outlets will then revert to 'power save' mode. I calculated about a 24 hr power reserve for my configuration (see the owners manual for the linked UPS). I also have a small (2000W peak) generator as backup. This arrangement got me through a week without power several years back when N. Alabama was hit by multiple tornadoes.

You can also use the Aux Power feature of the Apex to detect loss of power, so that you could run both EBs on UPS. My particular Apex Classic did not operate correctly on Aux power however, so that drove me to my current setup.

I used this UPS with two deep cycle marine batteries in parallel: https://www.tripplite.com/750w-power...outlets~APS750

There are a couple ways to handle the EBs. I chose to have one on mains and another on UPS. I use the mains EB to detect loss of power. Non-critical devices are on mains EB. When power is lost, those on mains will obviously just not operate. The UPS EB outlets will then revert to 'power save' mode. I calculated about a 24 hr power reserve for my configuration (see the owners manual for the linked UPS). I also have a small (2000W peak) generator as backup. This arrangement got me through a week without power several years back when N. Alabama was hit by multiple tornadoes.

You can also use the Aux Power feature of the Apex to detect loss of power, so that you could run both EBs on UPS. My particular Apex Classic did not operate correctly on Aux power however, so that drove me to my current setup.
    Thanks Todd

If you are from Alabama, and went through it before, than you are really experience in it and know what I mean. The last time we had a hurricane here in Florida in 2017, I was lucky to be able to run a 2 "D" battery operated fishing air pump (that was all I have and totally unprepared) on my 35gal to get the tank going for maybe about 24 hours until I was able to get back to the house to run my generator. I lost one of my 2 fancy clowns (only 2 fishes in my tank), and most of my corals suffer some short of shock. a Some never really got back to the state they were even to today.

How large is your tank to get i going for 24 hours? The ups you send me, does it have a build in battery? It does not look like any I have seen before? Looks industrial.

You mentioned "I chose to have one on mains and another on UPS. I use the mains EB to detect loss of power", That was also what I was starting to think about doing. By having one EB on the mains, and the other on the UPS, the "IF Power 000" statement will then shut off all of the heavy draw gears plugged in the UPS backed EB, while just keeping one small Hydor Nano to provide water flow configured on a set on or off interval to save energy.

You said "I used this UPS with two deep cycle marine batteries in parallel" How did you modify the UPS?

What is "Aux Power feature of the Apex" how do I access that? I have the new version of Apex. I have never heard of it.

My tank is 125 gallons. Correct, the UPS does not come with its own battery. It is largely used for RVs. You can use as many batteries as needed to build capacity. The duration is a function of the type/size of battery, the number used, and the current draw of the equipment. If you look at the owners manual there is an explanation on how to size the battery capacity: https://www.tripplite.com/support/owners-manual/754043

The Aux Power is a 12VDC port, so you can use a 'wall-wart' power adapter. Then in the Apex menu, forget where exactly, you enable Power Monitoring.

Another reason I use the 'power save' mode is for equipment that would go anoxic without periodic flow, such as reactors or canisters,etc.

My tank is 125 gallons. Correct, the UPS does not come with its own battery. It is largely used for RVs. You can use as many batteries as needed to build capacity. The duration is a function of the type/size of battery, the number used, and the current draw of the equipment. If you look at the owners manual there is an explanation on how to size the battery capacity: https://www.tripplite.com/support/owners-manual/754043

The Aux Power is a 12VDC port, so you can use a 'wall-wart' power adapter. Then in the Apex menu, forget where exactly, you enable Power Monitoring.

Another reason I use the 'power save' mode is for equipment that would go anoxic without periodic flow, such as reactors or canisters,etc.
    Thanks again. I learned a lot from You today.

So you plug the Auz power into the ups too or into a mains?

Is power save mode a function in the trip-lite. Or the APex?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Aux would plug into mains. The ‘power save’ mode is what I described earlier for an outlet program such that when power is lost it reverts to the OSC command.

Smile

The Aux would plug into mains. The ‘power save’ mode is what I described earlier for an outlet program such that when power is lost it reverts to the OSC command.
    Thanks Todd. Me dumb again. SO with each gear I would program it to either shut down completely some gears, or keep on or OSC for on/off rotating basis based on power failure from the mains of either the EB or the Apex head. Got it. Thanks again.