Thread: Apex 2016 stuck in reboot loop

Apex 2016 stuck in reboot loop

My router had an brain fart today and both my apex classic and 2016 apex dropped off the network. When I got home I fixed the router and then rebooted the classic (everything reconnected and continued to operate normally. I then rebooted the apex by unplugging the aquabus cable from the ABU, waiting 20 seconds and plugging it back in. It showed the normal boot color pattern and went orange. Then instead of staying orange it changes back to green and then purple and then orange. It does this pattern 3 times and then appears to completely restart going from orange to blue then white, then green then purple and back to orange. Then it starts this cycle all other again.

The EB832 never stops flashing orange. I have unplugged everything from the EB832 and unplugged the EB832 from the wall. waited a few minutes and plugged the EB832 back in and waited 20 seconds then plugged the ABU back in and still the same thing is happening.

What does this light pattern mean and how do I get the Apex back to running again? I tried pressing the reset, holding the reset for 7 seconds (but apex goes from orange to green in less than that), and even holding reset for more than 20 seconds hoping to just get it reset and then reprogramming it. Nothing is working and it is stuck in this loop.

Neptune never published the color patterns, but basically anytime it cycles through color patterns it means there is a serious issue that requires intervention from support.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Ticket is in but I was hoping for something simpler and quicker than waiting for that. My WAV's and AFS are on it and I don't have a 1Link to put them on the classic to keep them running.

Frequent Visitor
    Is the Apex hardwired?

If so, unplug the Ethernet cable. Does the power cycle stop?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

When the issue started it was setup wireless. In trouble shooting it last night I also tried hardwiring and it made no difference.

Support responded and I have some additional trouble shooting to do after work as well as installing some powerheads for circulation as both my WAVs are down at the moment and I don't own a 1Link to move them to.

Based on the troubleshooting steps this pattern indicates either an aquabus related power issue or an internal crash of some sort in the base unit. Very strange that this happened due to a normal procedure of unplugging the aquabus cable to reboot a unit that was operating normally and running it's program with out issue. It just wasn't connected to wifi and the reboot caused some type of failure.

I've never had an issue like this with my classic over many years of use and countless aquabus removal reboot cycles. I hope this might help identify a possible instability that can be addressed to improve the reliability of the unit.

I got the unit replaced through support. The biggest issue is that the only information I got back from them on the unit is that "an internal component was bad and needed to be replaced" with no information about if there could have been something I did that caused this failure or things to avoid or anything else. Just a the unit was replaced, here's your returned money and cross your fingers that it doesn't happen again. I sure wish there was more provided information or at least some preventative suggestions.

In either case I got the unit replaced and am back up and running.

Frequent Visitor
    If it was something that you did, they would charge you for the repair rather than give you all your money back. It was most likely, as they described.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Neptune never published the color patterns, but basically anytime it cycles through color patterns it means there is a serious issue that requires intervention from support.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I fear I woke up to that issue this morning. Brain is flashing white-green-purple-yellow-green-purple-yellow. EB832 is just flashing orange constantly. All modules LEDs are blinking.

From the sound of it the brain has gone bad somehow? Thankfully I happen to have an extra around hanging around.. but damn, that sucks. Time for a full system re-programming party.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by otter_water View Post
    I fear I woke up to that issue this morning. Brain is flashing white-green-purple-yellow-green-purple-yellow. EB832 is just flashing orange constantly. All modules LEDs are blinking.

From the sound of it the brain has gone bad somehow? Thankfully I happen to have an extra around hanging around.. but damn, that sucks. Time for a full system re-programming party.
    Did you find a solution? This just happened to me, immediately after a firmware update, on my brand new Apex base unit. Support said its likely a hardware failure and that weren't aware of any similar issues. Seems like the issue was to do with the base unit rebooting and bricking itself....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Krazie4Acans View Post
    I got the unit replaced through support. The biggest issue is that the only information I got back from them on the unit is that "an internal component was bad and needed to be replaced" with no information about if there could have been something I did that caused this failure or things to avoid or anything else. Just a the unit was replaced, here's your returned money and cross your fingers that it doesn't happen again. I sure wish there was more provided information or at least some preventative suggestions.

In either case I got the unit replaced and am back up and running.

Is the new unit still working properly? I seem to have the same issue with a brand new base unit....