Thread: Battery Backup that works for Apex EB832

Regular Vistor

Battery Backup that works for Apex EB832

After searching for this on Google. I didn't find much. I am looking to you guys that use them which one is best/compatible. It doesn't have to last a week or anything just a couple hours.

TIA

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    So this is a little messy.
    There are sinewave/pure sinewave UPS's that are more money and some people say that's all you should use.
    For a lot of equipment the pure sinewave question isn't an issue.
    I don't believe it's an issue for the apex itself although it absolutely could be for things plugged into it.
    AC motors have been known to overheat on the non-sinewave UPS's and in some cases to the point where they are destroyed.
    I will not try to go into detail beyond that because I think there's quite a bit to it.
    Just be aware that the extra money spent on a sinewave UPS at least in some cases is absolutely worth it.

The size is the next question.
    It's also hard to answer because it depends on what you need to support which varies by each setup.
    You can add code to turn off stuff that's not needed when the power is out but the UPS needs to support it for several seconds while the power outage is detected and the Apex shuts the unneeded stuff off.
    Which means everything plugged into your EB832 needs to be under the max rating on the UPS.
    I'll let others correct or add to this as needed but hopefully this helps.

The above notes are all correct. I would use a 1500VA as a minimum so that you don't limit the loading capabilities of the energy bar to a large extent and you may need to go higher if you have more than 900W of load on the energy bar at any point in time. Which particular UPS you want depends on how long you want the devices to run and what devices you want to run.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for the info! I only plan to run a router, return pump and heater during an outage. The return pump according to the Apex draws around 88w and the heater doesn't seem to register on the graph. It's a 200w heater. I have ~400w during normal operation on the eb832. With lights, heaters, vortechs, return pump and ATO. The lights and the Vortechs can be moved off the eb832. I just had them on there to estimate total electric cost. I am assuming that I can program only the heater and the return pump outlets to come on during an outage? Here is the one I was looking at. Also what would the max cord length be for the eb832. Probably have to put this BBU on the other side of the wall from the tank. Thinking a bigger gauge extension cord would work but not 100%.

OPTI-UPS TS2250B 2000VA 1200W Line Interactive UPS Battery Backup with AVR Surge Protection - 5 Outlets (Black) - Uninterruptible Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K6MCL0..._UYyhCbXTGEM8P

Quote Originally Posted by Nomorenames View Post
    Thanks for the info! I only plan to run a router, return pump and heater during an outage. The return pump according to the Apex draws around 88w and the heater doesn't seem to register on the graph. It's a 200w heater. I have ~400w during normal operation on the eb832. With lights, heaters, vortechs, return pump and ATO. The lights and the Vortechs can be moved off the eb832. I just had them on there to estimate total electric cost. I am assuming that I can program only the heater and the return pump outlets to come on during an outage? Here is the one I was looking at. Also what would the max cord length be for the eb832. Probably have to put this BBU on the other side of the wall from the tank. Thinking a bigger gauge extension cord would work but not 100%.

OPTI-UPS TS2250B 2000VA 1200W Line Interactive UPS Battery Backup with AVR Surge Protection - 5 Outlets (Black) - Uninterruptible Power Supply https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004K6MCL0..._UYyhCbXTGEM8P

You aren't going to get much runtime if you keep a heater on. The best practice is to start with only a single powerhead, router and apex. If you are willing to sacrifice runtime, a low wattage return pump and a skimmer or air pump would be the next things to run. Losing a heater won't kill fish or corals, but losing flow and oxygenation will.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    That is a good point. I don't run a skimmer at the moment so it would only be one Vortech and router then. Is there a outlet profile that can be written for just 2 outlets when the power drops?