Thread: Review ATO Reservoir programming

Regular Vistor

Review ATO Reservoir programming

Hi - hoping to have someone take a quick look prior to me putting in place. i have a 13 gallon container with a low and hi optical sensor along with my RO unit connected to the solenoid to start and stop flow. I think i have that code right. What i want to do from there is create warnings to tell me when the refill starts, when it stops and if the solenoid has been open longer than it should be. My thought was that I also don't want to get warnings the entire time it is refilling. I'm definitely not sure about the warning when it stops refilling as i think what I have will continue to turn on and keep sending me alerts until enough water has been removed form the reservoir. Since I only run my ATO for 3 minutes every three hours, this could be a while.
    RES_Refilll
    Fallback OFF
    If RODI_Low OPENThen ON
    If RODI_Hi CLOSEDThen OFF
    When On > 155:00Then OFF
    Defer 000:20 Then ON
    Defer 000:05 ThenOFF

V_RES_Start
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If RES_Refill ON then ON
    When ON > 000:20Then OFF

V_RES_Stop
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If RODI_HI CLOSEDThen ON
    Defer 000:05 Then ON
    When ON > 000:20Then OFF

V_RES_Warn
    Set OFF
    Fallback OFF
    If RES_Refill Then ON
    Defer 155:00 Then ON

Email_ALRM
    If V_RES_Start ONThen ON
    IF V_RES_Stop ONThen ON
    If V_RES_Warn ONThen ON

The main issue here is that you are incorrectly using the 'When' statements as general-purpose timers in the V_RES_Start & V_RES_Stop virtual outputs. The 'When' statement is meant as a safety measure. If the time specified in a When > XXX Then OFF statement elapses, that output is shut off PERMANENTLY (the slider will change to manual OFF), until you intervene and put the dashboard slider for that output back to the AUTO. So, used the way you have it here in those two VO programs, once When activates, they will be OFF until you put them back to AUTO. That is counterproductive.

You also are handling the alarm incorrectly; the Res_Warn VO is unnecessary. Instead, you should be using an If Error RES_Refill Then On statement in your email alarm program. Please see this sticky for usage of When and If Error: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...-Firmware-4-52

Personally, I would not go through the complexity of setting up alerts for being notified of what are essentially normal events (refill start and refill stop). Focus on what is most important here - if the refill process takes too long. IMO, you do not need the Start, Stop, and Warn VOs; you really only need to be notified if something goes awry and the refill does not complete within the allotted time

This is all I would do:

RES_Refill
    Fallback OFF
    If RODI_Low OPEN Then ON
    If RODI_Hi CLOSED Then OFF
    When On > 155:00 Then OFF
    Defer 000:20 Then ON
    Defer 000:05 Then OFF

Email_ALRM
    (your other email alarm programming)
    If Error RES_Refill Then On

And I would also enable logging for the RES_Refill output. You can then use the Output Logs to see when the Refill turns on and off.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    I think it's just that controlling part of me that wants to at least know when things are happening and not just when they go wrong.

So with the when statement, does that automatically generate an error when it becomes true that can be used in alarms?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by tdhight View Post
    So with the when statement, does that automatically generate an error when it becomes true that can be used in alarms?
    'When' does not trigger an alarm by itself; you must have a corresponding If Error statement in the email alarm program
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Git it. Thanks for the help! I'm still. Fairly new at the advanced programming and tend to overcomplicate things.

Regular Vistor
    Should I include set off in the solenoid (RODI_Refill) as well? Or just Fallback?

Do not use a Set statement in this case. See this post for details about when and when not to use a Set statement.

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...l=1#post114462

Regular Vistor
    Ah, got it. If. I used set off it would turn back off immediately after Res_Lo was closed again?

Quote Originally Posted by tdhight View Post
    Ah, got it. If. I used set off it would turn back off immediately after Res_Lo was closed again?

Yes.