Thread: Disastrous Experience with ATK Kit

New User

Angry Disastrous Experience with ATK Kit

Hi,

Long time Neptune user here with APEX, several modules & probes, COR, 2 DOS/DDR, previously running on a Reefer 350 and now a 220G Waterbox Peninsula.

For the Waterbox I tried to add an ATK as there is no included ATO and have been incredibly frustrated with the experience.

I got the ATK in September, having bought it from Neptune System EU in Netherlands. I live in Dubai but there is no official Neptune dealer here and I spend a lot of time in Europe so it made sense to get it there. I understand this obviously made replacements more time consuming and added shipment difficulties, but Neptune Systems EU does offer shipment to the UAE so they must be aware and willing to do support in this region.

When I wanted to use the module in Dubai, I realized they sent me the wrong power supply (different plug on the FMM side). Contacted Neptune Systems EU who luckily agreed to send me a new one, but it took 3 weeks and fees to arrive, plus going to the post office etc for import duties.

Finally I tried the module in standalone mode so I can test it before messing with the cables. Didn't work, threw random errors. Then I moved to Apex connected mode so I could figure out where the problems came from, seems it was one of the sensors being stuck on Closed. Contacted Neptune support, they connected and said Sensor 1 needed replacement.

Didn't think about it further, I went back to the dealer, who after some back and forth agreed to send me a sensor without having to send back the defect one which would have taken time and cost money again. After another 3 weeks, it arrived (same trip to the post and fees again...)

Finally I can rely on an ATO system and won't have to manually fill water daily - or so I thought.

Started mounting the new sensor and replace the broken one, and realized Sensor 2 had some kind of rust signs inside... started testing it and it didn't respond to water presence. Then I started testing everything one by one with the old and new sensors and wondered why the FMM was stuck on Closed on some inputs.

At this point I lost my patience and ripped out my second FMM with Leak Detection probes from my tank to be able to do a full end to end test and isolate all problems. Deleted all modules multiple times, set them up from scratch, etc.

Turns out, on the ATK FMM Input 2, 3, 4 always show as closed, even if nothing is plugged in. Only when you plug in a sensor in Open state it will switch. Since both my sensors didn't work, I didn't connect these dots at first.

Ultimately I bought an ATK kit and got
    - A wrong power supply
    - Two broken optical sensors
    - A broken FMM module
    - About 8h of wasted time
    - About 30$ of custom fees and gas

This really makes me have doubts about putting the health of my tank into the hands of Neptune equipment in the future.

I raised the broken second sensor and the FMM to Neptune support and Neptune Systems EU today, let's see what happens.

Did other users have similar problems or I am an isolated case or maybe I'm missing something here?

Thanks

New User
    In fairness, the FMM started working correctly after a reset, issue was due to incorrect auto detection of the sensors / inputs. Still having two defect Optical Sensors though...

Frequent Visitor
    Wow! Sounds like you really got the shaft! I wasn't aware that Neptune had more than one 24V power supply. What did you get with yours?

The 'Auto detect' feature on the FMM has been trouble prone in the past and the general recommendation has been to manually set the inputs to the correct sensor. Assuming you've done that, the optical sensors should work fine.

There have been issues with Neptune's optical sensors giving false 'closed' readings, but that's usually after a couple months, not new, out of the box. Where did you get your ATK? In all honesty, I would return it and get a Tunze osmolator

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepydoc View Post
    Wow! Sounds like you really got the shaft! I wasn't aware that Neptune had more than one 24V power supply. What did you get with yours?

The 'Auto detect' feature on the FMM has been trouble prone in the past and the general recommendation has been to manually set the inputs to the correct sensor. Assuming you've done that, the optical sensors should work fine.

There have been issues with Neptune's optical sensors giving false 'closed' readings, but that's usually after a couple months, not new, out of the box. Where did you get your ATK? In all honesty, I would return it and get a Tunze osmolator
    Your post comes at an interesting time. Today I finally received the replacement sensor (paying duties and import in the process again).

Come home, try and use it, turn on the ATK - starting to hear a clicking sound. Google it and there we go, means the PMUP seems to be fried - not sure why given that I've barely been able to use it since having bought the product in September!

Sending another E-Mail to Neptune support, but just to recap, out of the 5 components of this product, I had 4 hardware failures and 1 software issue.

Let's see what they answer but this may have been my last Neptune product.