Thread: cor-15 spontaneously resets to default

Frequent Visitor

cor-15 spontaneously resets to default

Hi everyone. Happy new year. Just looking for some thoughts.

Of course I am away on vacation and I get an ATK alarm this morning. I logged in and saw that both level sensors were open and the ATK shut off after longer than usual fill time.

I couldn’t figure it out until I looked at my Cor-15 panel and noticed that it was running much faster than my usual RPM and wattage.

When I opened it up I see that my previous IQ settings were reset to default 1-100% whereas my normal settings would be 40% max.

Looking at the log I see an entry for the Cor at the time everything seems to have glitched stating TBL

With the pump flowing at max it emptied the sump and triggers the ATK which fills longer than normal and triggers a shut off and alarm. Now that I’ve reset it back to 40% max the sump is running high and I’ve had a drop in salinity from 36 to 35. Hopefully as it evaporates back to previous settings my frags aren’t hurt by this sudden change.

Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas what would cause the cor to reset like that.

My apex is connected to my home Comcast router via Ethernet cable so can’t imagine it was a network error.

Thanks for any help

Frequent Visitor
    Well...I figured out what happened partially.

We had a 5 minute power outage at my house. My whole home generator kicked in as it should. It seems the cor reset to default IQ status during the power outage/generator start up. I have a whole home surge protector so not sure why the Cor would reset??

Until I get home I set my Cor to a percentage similar to the IQ setting flow just in case it happens again.

I’m wondering if using a UPS would avoid this reset during a power outage-generator startup?

Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

Thanks!

A whole-house surge protector is typically somewhat vaguely rated for 'extreme transients' or something like that. Think lightning strike nearby, transformer exploding, etc.

Used to be that gensets could be expected to have some startup surge, but recent models tend to be pretty good. Doubt it'd be something that a whole-house protector would deal with anyway, and that's even if the WHP is installed such that it'd see the genset; depends on the configuration of the transfer switch and where the WHP is located in terms of the service entrance and transfer switch anyway.

However, what I'd guess is that your equipment saw the outage, then in short order saw the genset kick in. Let's just call that intervening period unstable power, could be anything happening there, really, from a brownout condition to a surge; not possible to know unless you were there with a meter. For electronics, that's pretty much like being clubbed with a lead pipe; results are going to be unpredictable.

Since you've got the genset, what I'd recommend is a decent quality small UPS to provide surge protection and carry the gear through that unsettled period between the outage and the genset running. You want a high load rating but you don't need a lot of battery, so that should be an economical one.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by alb View Post
    A whole-house surge protector is typically somewhat vaguely rated for 'extreme transients' or something like that. Think lightning strike nearby, transformer exploding, etc.

Used to be that gensets could be expected to have some startup surge, but recent models tend to be pretty good. Doubt it'd be something that a whole-house protector would deal with anyway, and that's even if the WHP is installed such that it'd see the genset; depends on the configuration of the transfer switch and where the WHP is located in terms of the service entrance and transfer switch anyway.

However, what I'd guess is that your equipment saw the outage, then in short order saw the genset kick in. Let's just call that intervening period unstable power, could be anything happening there, really, from a brownout condition to a surge; not possible to know unless you were there with a meter. For electronics, that's pretty much like being clubbed with a lead pipe; results are going to be unpredictable.

Since you've got the genset, what I'd recommend is a decent quality small UPS to provide surge protection and carry the gear through that unsettled period between the outage and the genset running. You want a high load rating but you don't need a lot of battery, so that should be an economical one.
    Thanks! That’s really helpful. Appreciate the insight.