Thread: PMUP stops working, FMM reboot needed

Frequent Visitor

PMUP stops working, FMM reboot needed

Hi all, I have an ATK in my tank set up to run once a day to fill my RSR 250 stock ATO. Every month or so I am having a problem where I get an alarm due to the WHEN ON setting being exceeded. When this happens the PMUP does not appear to turn on when it should, and if I turn it on manually in Apex Fusion it does not run. I have to power cycle the FMM and it then starts running normally again.

Does anyone else have this issue?

I’m going to raise a support case with Neptune, would be helpful to know if anyone else has the problem I can mention when I raise the case.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Why are you trying to fill only once per day? That is not recommended. You should be filling every hour or two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Hi Zombie, thanks for all your earlier posts whilst I was learning the Apex language and your continued support of others in the forum.

I use the stock Red Sea Reefer ATO which is a small gravity fed reservoir controlled by a float valve to keep my sump topped up. I like this as it continuously keeps my sump topped up and I use a low level optical sensor in the sump to protect against the float valve getting blocked by algae.

The ATK is used to keep the ATO reservoir full. This is fed from my RODI reservoir which is in turn topped up via a pressure sensitive solenoid. I only run the PMUP once a day to fill the ATO. I do this for two reasons.

1. Run the PMUP once a day for a longer period - are hoping this will extend it’s life as the reports on it are not wonderful.

2. If we go away for an extended time and I turn the RODI system to full auto mode (water coming into the system 24x7) the RODI reservoir will only be drained once a day, at midday, triggering the solenoid to refill it. When the refill is complete there is a rather annoying ‘humming’ sound as the solenoid shuts off due to the fact the reservoir gradually fills. According to the manufacturer (Aquatic Life) this is fairly normal and although I have taken steps to limit the noise it still is noticeable. My reservoir is near my next door neighbour’s house so I don’t want to annoy them by this happening overnight.

Normally I turn on the RODI manually every 2-3 weeks and when full turn it off at the faucet. Hope this makes sense.

If you are using it to refill a reservoir, then it's a programming issue not a flaw in the system.

Time how long it takes to fill the reservoir (typical evaporation fill point, not from empty to full) and double that value. Make the when statement length that long instead of 5 minutes.

Frequent Visitor

PMUP stops working, FMM reboot needed

I don’t believe it’s a programming issue. My code is below and every day works perfectly. The comments are just in my code library and not in the Apex.

[ATOPump]
    # Outlet for the ATO Pump connected to the FMM
    # No point trying to run this during a power outage as the PMUP is powered from mains power
    #
    Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATOLo OPEN Then ON
    If ATOHi CLOSED Then OFF
    When On > 020:00 Then OFF
    If Time 13:00 to 11:59 Then OFF
    If Outlet PowerOutage = ON then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF
    Min Time 120:00 Then OFF

What happens is that every 6-8 weeks I suddenly get an alarm triggered by the When On at 12:20. I can go to Apex Fusion and turn the ATOPump outlet ON but nothing happens. The first time it happened I went outside, pulled the PMUP out, checked the impeller etc and all seemed ok. Put it back, turned it on in Apex Fusion, still didn’t run.

I then rebooted the FMM by pulling the Aqualink cable and the 24v power (suspect the second step is irrelevant as that doesn’t power the FMM, just the PMUP) and replaced both. After that I could manually turn the PMUP on and it worked. The next day the automatic cycle worked fine.

This has happened 2 or 3 times since, and all I did each subsequent time was reboot the FMM, manually run the PMUP for that day and it then ran fine after that.

Thanks for the reply.

When you say you turned it ON on fusion, did you turn it to manual ON or back to AUTO. If the latter, then it didn't turn on because the min time statement prevents it. You have to set the outlet to manual ON and then to AUTO.

Frequent Visitor
    I turned it to manual on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be stalling on you then. Was it clicking when you set it to manual ON and the pmup didn't want to run?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Might be stalling on you then. Was it clicking when you set it to manual ON and the pmup didn't want to run?

I’m not sure - didn’t check that at the time. I’ll check the next time it happens and let you know.

Since the only thing I did to resolve the issue the last two times was reboot the FMM (I did not touch the PMUP) I feel this is a software issue not a PMUP hardware issue though.