Thread: Please comment on my schematic for AWC

New User

Please comment on my schematic for AWC

Hi All,

Here is what I have: I snagged a Masterflex model 7551-00 [peristaltic pump]. It's a newer model with remote control capabilities (and the RPM that correspond to the voltage can be changed). I can control it through the varspeed port of the Apex. I have a dual channel head (model 7536-02) that takes size 35 tubing (flow of 2300 mL at 600 RPM = .61 gallon/minute = 36.45 gallon/hour).

The challenge is - I want to be able to do BOTH slow continuous water change (say, about 3.5 gallon per day; my tank is 300 gallon) AND a more rapid water change, say, 60 gallon, which will take about 2 hours to drain and 2 hours to fill back the sump.

I want to program Apex to do both. Please see the schematic attached. I would have: two normally-closed solenoid valves, two normally-open solenoid valves, one top-off valve (my top-off is reservoir fills the sump by gravity; I use a normally-open zero pressure to stay open solenoid valve). All valves are 110 volt, controlled by the Apex through an EB8. Plus the VarSpeed control.

V1 = returns NSW back to its reservoir; Normally-closed
    V2 = directs NSW to the tank; Normally-open
    V3 = circulates Old SW from the sump to the tank; Normally-closed
    V4 = Old SW to drain (sewage pipe); Normally-open

I still need to figure out how to trigger the profiles, but I foresee three profiles as follows:

Profile 1: Normal operation, continuous slow water change (in this profile, all solenoid valves are in their normal "off" position - that is, V1 and V2 are Normally-Closed valves, and V2 and V4 and TopOff are Normally-Open valves)
    V1=Closed; V2 = Open; V3 = Closed; V4 = Open; TopOff = Open; VarSpeed = low

Profile 2: Drain the sump
    V1 = Open; V2 = Closed; V3 = Closed; V4 = Open; TopOff = Closed; VarSpeed = high

Profile 3: Fill back
    V1=Closed; V2 = Open; V3 = Open; V4 = Closed; TopOff = Closed; VarSpeed = high

The idea is - when I want to do a rapid water change, I'll first activate profile 2, then profile 3.

Any comments would be appreciated!
    Attached Images Attached Images

You are making this way more complex than it needs to be. I would skip the solenoids and just increase the speed when you want to change more. As long as you place the tubing for OSW upstream in your sump of the NSW, the lost NSW will be only a few percent of what you added.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Appreciate your comment - there is something to be said for simplicity! [and money saved, and fewer things that can fail]
    I can easily control the RPM through the VarSpeed control.
    But, I'm an engineer ... [yet I will listen to a wise advice]
    Other thoughts? pros/cons?

Regular Vistor

Please comment on my schematic for AWC

You may want check out this video with items on profile creation and triggering. It’s about food but he uses profiles which could work for your needs.

https://youtu.be/Z6ZtkcN4H-A

New User
    Curious if you got this working? Did you run into any issues with variance in flow between the two pump heads?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by f8th View Post
    Curious if you got this working? Did you run into any issues with variance in flow between the two pump heads?
    Yes, First, there is no discrepancy, it's a two-channel head, two-stop tubes size 35 [pricey! - almost $100 for 4 pieces].
    I decided not to use solenoids or any automation. I have the MF connected to an EB outlet and also controlled remotely by the varspeed. So, essentially I can switch between a trickle (4.5 gal/day = 1% varspeeed) and 100% varspeed for quick water change.
    Instead of solenoids, I put four valves, so I can have one channel sucking either water or air, this way I can prime both lines (the NSW line is much farther than the OSW), and I can manually run large water changes.