Thread: How are you using 24VDC Ports?

New User

How are you using 24VDC Ports?

How’s everyone using these? I thought about using these to turn my canopy fans on/off. However, after ordering the bare cables, I realized my fans are AC and that’s not gonna work.

So, I’ve got two of the bare cables and I’m just curious how I could possibly use them? What are some common uses?

New User
    Nobody’s using these for anything?

Frequent Visitor
    The only thing I'm using them for is audible alarms.

Frequent griper
    I use them to turn on/off small muffin fans used to cool the water on both my salt and fresh display tanks. The muffin fans are 24 volt DC fans that I run at 12 volts to reduce the noise. I use an adjustable buck converter to step down the 24 volts for each. It's small, has a backlit display that lights up whenever power is applied so that I know when the tank is getting too warm.
    Last edited by Stan Walker; 01-09-2019 at 08:17. Reason: correct fan voltage

I also use mine for a piezo buzzer alarm siren. And I have one controlling a backup solenoid in my topoff water line.

Frequent Visitor
    Sump Led strips , piezzo buzzer, solenoid

Regular Vistor
    I found an 83ml/min 24v peristaltic pump on Amazon for like $12. I simply wired it into a DC24 wire, and boom, easy controllable doser. It's pretty fast, so it's not good for small dosings, but I'm using it to feed water into a Avast K2 kalk stirrer, so doing a dose of about 100ml or so every few hours is a good use. Just running a long OSC program on it.

New User
    I use mine to turn on and off a couple of 24v cooling fans and Apex pump for my ato

New User
    I am using my Apex with a freshwater Planted tank, which requires frequent dosing of fertilizers (for which I use DOS + DDR). However, the fertilizers sit in the DDR for extended periods of time, and tend to separate. So I purchased a couple of 24VDC-power magnetic stirrers to sit under neath the DDR, and hooked them up to the 24DC switched ports. Through code, I now switch on the stirrers for 10 min before the dosing program runs, to make sure the fertilizers are well mixed. After the dosing program, I shut the magenetic stirrers off again. Very convenient fix to a common problem, and I'm grateful these ports are available!

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    I run a PMUP to feed by refugium from a 24v port on my EB832.

Frequent Visitor
    I have 7 24v ports in my APEX.

1 - FMM - PMUP
    2 - 1LINK - LEDS Orange Strip + ATO for Frag tank
    2 - 1LINK - 2x Selenoid Valve for autoflush
    2 - 1LINK - 2x Selenoid Valve for autoflush

All the best,
    Rui

Regular Vistor
    FMM - PMUP
    EB832 1 - 2x RODI solenoids
    EB832 1 - 1x RODI solenoids

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by evangemeren View Post
    I am using my Apex with a freshwater Planted tank, which requires frequent dosing of fertilizers (for which I use DOS + DDR). However, the fertilizers sit in the DDR for extended periods of time, and tend to separate. So I purchased a couple of 24VDC-power magnetic stirrers to sit under neath the DDR, and hooked them up to the 24DC switched ports. Through code, I now switch on the stirrers for 10 min before the dosing program runs, to make sure the fertilizers are well mixed. After the dosing program, I shut the magenetic stirrers off again. Very convenient fix to a common problem, and I'm grateful these ports are available!
    Do you have a link to the magnetic stirrers?

New User

dc 24v ports

I am trying to get a straight answer to this question... I have gotten yes's and No's on this. BRS is on the yes bandwagon.

can i use the 24v dc ports to power the DOS? and if so what is the correct cable? Obviously I realize that I would also have to run them via an aquabus port as well..

trying to run 2 wav, 2 DOS, trident from the newer EB8 without using any outlets.

Quote Originally Posted by becon776 View Post
    I am trying to get a straight answer to this question... I have gotten yes's and No's on this. BRS is on the yes bandwagon.

can i use the 24v dc ports to power the DOS?.
    No. You can only use the supplied power supply or a 1LINK connection. Anyone who says otherwise probably does not understand the difference between 1LINK ports and the ACC/DC24 ports.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Run my Dos with a male to male 1link cable to the eb8

New User
    Can someone link some strip lights that I could use to light my sump area and use my 24v DC port?

I recently wired my old strip lights to the 24 wire and the lights were crazy bright and started to smoke.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Sawdonkey View Post
    Can someone link some strip lights that I could use to light my sump area and use my 24v DC port?

I recently wired my old strip lights to the 24 wire and the lights were crazy bright and started to smoke.
    I have (3) of these under my stand running off the 24vdc port.

https://www.amazon.com/Voltage-Light...0&sr=8-15&th=1

But any LED light or light strip that is 24vdc will work.
    https://www.google.com/search?q=24v+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

New User
    I am using my APEX on 3 Tropical Aquariums. Works very well for water changes and general control. Will be getting more.

2 EB8's. Each have same setup.
    1-24 DC pump for ATOwater to Sump.
    1-Rodi solenoid to turn off ATO fill then float as backup.

Wish they made a module that had more 24 ports. Pumps, lights, solenoids and valves can be found all over the internet.

Regular Vistor
    How are you plugging in your device into the 24v ports? Im looking at adding a couple of fans in my APEX cabinet and just want to make sure I hook it up correct.

New User

24v DC Plug

Quote Originally Posted by LouiePolsinelli View Post
    How are you plugging in your device into the 24v ports? Im looking at adding a couple of fans in my APEX cabinet and just want to make sure I hook it up correct.
    I use the 24v DC plug.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dc24-...e-systems.html

Just make sure you wire it the correct way. I keep getting it backwards and have to re do it. I use mine for water change pumps and an RODI solenoid. I'm sure there's all sorts of 24v DC things that can be made to use these ports.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by wiedemann_kurt View Post
    I use the 24v DC plug.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/dc24-...e-systems.html

Just make sure you wire it the correct way. I keep getting it backwards and have to re do it. I use mine for water change pumps and an RODI solenoid. I'm sure there's all sorts of 24v DC things that can be made to use these ports.
    So are you just "splicing" wires together

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by LouiePolsinelli View Post
    So are you just "splicing" wires together
    More or less. But the devices ARE 24vDC. They are simple on/off controlled devices. So I would guess any 24vDC devices that is just turned on or off would work. You cant dim thisgs on the 24vDC ports. The other ports that have 4 pins I think you can do that with. I know the COR pumps work off those ports. I've heard of lights being DIYed to work off of those ports also.

Quote Originally Posted by wiedemann_kurt View Post
    More or less. But the devices ARE 24vDC. They are simple on/off controlled devices. So I would guess any 24vDC devices that is just turned on or off would work. You cant dim thisgs on the 24vDC ports. The other ports that have 4 pins I think you can do that with. I know the COR pumps work off those ports. I've heard of lights being DIYed to work off of those ports also.
    The 4-pin 1LINK ports on the 1LINK module and EB832 simply combine 24VDC power and Aquabus communication in one cable. They cannot be used for dimming lights or any other DIY purpose. They work only with 1LINK-compatible Neptune devices - WAV, COR15, & DOS (all Apex models) and Trident (newer Apexes only).
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.