Thread: DOS & Fallback Setting

New User

DOS & Fallback Setting

Last week we had a power outage that lasted a few hours. When the power came back on, one of my two EB832s came back up in a Fallback mode for some reason. This EB832 is not the one supplying power to the Apex 2016 so I think that might of had something to do with it. I have some question about how this EB832 should have reconnected to the APEX 2016, but I'll post them in a different thread.

The power was restored at 2:00 AM in the morning, so after checking to make sure the basic life support systems were online (heaters and pumps) I went back to bed, so I didn't discover the Fallback issue until the next morning. My two DOS pumps (four heads) were on the EB832 that was in fall back mode so they had not been running for almost a full day. Not a major disaster, but I always try to take opportunities like these to improve my setup and harden it from failures.

That said - I went through each device on that EB832 and evaluated if it should be set to Fallback or not. When I got to the four dosing heads I discovered you can set them to fallback, but after reading some other forum post, it appears this might not be advisable. Could someone help answer the following questions?

1. If you set the DOS pump to Fallback ON, would the pump ignore the dosing programming/schedule and just run continuously? Asking another way - is the dosing 'program/schedule' pushed to each pump or does it have to be connected to the APEX to run the proper program?

2. If it does retain the program, how does it know what the time is?

The apex can be powered by any energy bar connected over aquabus not just those directly connected to it.

The dos not not have fallback.

Update your module firmwares because this was likely what caused it to not reconnect.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
    My two DOS pumps (four heads) were on the EB832 that was in fall back mode so they had not been running for almost a full day. Not a major disaster, but I always try to take opportunities like these to improve my setup and harden it from failures.
    It's inadvisable to have the DŌS power supply plugged into an EnergyBar outlet - it's a waste of a controllable outlet. However if you do, the DŌS should always be supplied power, so the EB outlet should be programmed like this:

Fallback ON
    Set ON

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
    If you set the DOS pump to Fallback ON, would the pump ignore the dosing programming/schedule and just run continuously?
    The DŌS is hard-coded internally for Fallback OFF for safety. For a DŌS, the Fallback is not user-definable; if you specify Fallback ON, it will be ignored.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    Zombie & Russ,

Thanks for the quick reply!

I just checked the firmware on all modules and they appear to be up to date. The Energy Bar is at version 8. Maybe I will open a case for this to see if I found a bug. I tried to bring the EB8 online by disconnecting the aquabus cable and reconnecting it, but this didn't work. Ultimately, I powered everything down and brought up the Apex and EB8 that was powering it first and then plugged in the second EB8 with the DOS pumps and that worked. I've had power outages in the past, but have never had this issue before.

Thanks for confirming you can't use Fallback even though it appears you can set it that way via Fusion. I have to say I think this is less than ideal, given I've had issues with my Apex 2016 twice now. I do have a backup Apex now on the shelf, but it takes forever to reprogram it. Knowing what I know now, I might have gone with a different dosing system so I could program it independent of the APEX and just monitor and control the outlet it uses in the event of an issue.

Thanks again!