Thread: My AquaController Display Screen is Blank?

New User

My AquaController Display Screen is Blank?

My Apex Fusion (Mac) lost its connection today to my Apex (running AOS version 4.53 AB17, which is current), so I went to my Apex AquaController and tried a System > Restart to see if that would re-establish the connection. Instead, the display on the controller went blank, so it's backlit with no text. I tried disconnecting the power to the AquaController from the Energy Bar, but when the power is reconnected, I still have a blank display, (the screen is lit, no text). I also restarted my router, still no display and no Fusion. What should I do? I have a green status light on for the Apex Classic base unit and that appears to still be running everything fine. Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by acuario1 View Post
    My Apex Fusion (Mac) lost its connection today to my Apex (running AOS version 4.53 AB17, which is current), so I went to my Apex AquaController and tried a System > Restart to see if that would re-establish the connection. Instead, the display on the controller went blank, so it's backlit with no text. I tried disconnecting the power to the AquaController from the Energy Bar, but when the power is reconnected, I still have a blank display, (the screen is lit, no text). I also restarted my router, still no display and no Fusion. What should I do? I have a green status light on for the Apex Classic base unit and that appears to still be running everything fine. Thank you for your help.
    Make sure you plug both your Apex and computer directly into your router.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 4blackfish View Post
    Make sure you plug both your Apex and computer directly into your router.

Do this:

-Power OFF your controller including disconnecting any secondary power

-Start the firmware update

-Wait for the firmware updater to 'timeout' once or twice

-Power up your controller

-This may take a couple of tries, just repeat the process starting with powering OFF the controller

NOTE: There cannot be any Wi-Fi in the path between the Apex and the computer. Do the above with Wi-Fi turned off in your PC or Mac, the PC or Mac connected directly to your router with a network cable, and the Apex also directly connected to the router with a network cable.

These instructions are from RussM. I had this issue last month.

New User
    Thanks for the suggestion 4blackfish. I followed your instructions 3 times, will try another, but it didn't work so far. No display text in the AquaController. Worse, although the base Apex unit powers up and has both green and amber lights as it should, it is not powering my heaters, power heads or anything else. I'm going to run my powerheads and heaters without the Apex until this is resolved. Worse, I fly out at 7 am in the morning. Any advice, tonight especially, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion 4blackfish. I followed your instructions 3 times, will try another, but it didn't work so far. No display text in the AquaController. Worse, although the base Apex unit powers up and has both green and amber lights as it should, it is not powering my heaters, power heads or anything else. I'm going to run my powerheads and heaters without the Apex until this is resolved. Worse, I fly out at 7 am in the morning. Any advice, tonight especially, would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
    If a firmware force doesn't fix it, then pretty much your only option is to send it in. I would keep trying a few more times and if you can't get it to take, get everything in a non-apex temporary configuration and contact support.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did you hook the apex directly to the router and your computer? Turn off all wifi?
    That was my big mistake was not having it hooked to the router directly. Once I did and type my IP address in the system linked. Completely understand how you feel. You might need to run everything without the EB8 until you get back. I have Wavepumps so I didnt have a flow for a week.

New User
    I sure appreciate it 4blackfish! I ran a connection directly to the router from the computer. I have the Apex wired to the router. I turned off the wifi at the computer (not sure where else to do that elsewhere, our router is also the modem). I've been able to update the firmware this way before. I didn't know how to power down the Apex other than unplugging it. Anyway, maybe I should think about the APEXel? Maybe there is something else that can be tried? The bugger is the base unit is all lit up like it's working but it isn't. It's like it froze during the restart and just won't come on all the way, or maybe the screen is bad, but Fusion won't connect either. Thanks again.

Good luck

One more thing you can try is to eliminate every module by plugging in only the aux power supply if you have one or just the EB8 and the head unit if you don't and see if potentially you have a shorted aquabus cable or module that's making it go haywire.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Hi Zombie,
    Thanks for the idea. I tried plugging the AquaController straight into the base unit. No luck, just a lit, blank screen.
    By the way, I grew up in Denver.