Thread: ATO Float issue?

Frequent Visitor

ATO Float issue?

I have backed out my programming to the absolute simplest in order to test my ATO

Fallback OFF
    Set OFF
    If ATOSw3 OPEN Then ON

I had additional statements in there for a high level float switch as well as a defer statement to deal with float bounce. I dumbed it down to the above. I have no virtual outlet programming at all.

Here is the problem I'm having. The output of the outlet bounces on and off very quickly, like once a second or less. When I have it set to auto. The float switch is not bouncing as the water level is completely below the level of the switch. If I change from "auto" to On the output stays on. Therefore I believe I can rule out the relay attached to the physical outlet.

What would cause the float switch input to be so erratic? As I believe that might be the problem.

Thanks in advance
    John

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    This is likely due to ripples in the water surface causing the optical sensor to rapidly switch between Open and Closed. To compensate for this, the Defer statements should be used:

Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:04 Then OFF

This causes the Apex to wait for the optical sensor to be Open continuously for 10 seconds before turning the pump on, and Closed continuously for 4 seconds before turning the pump off. You can adjust these timers to your liking.

Frequent Visitor
    Thanks for the reply but....
    In testing the water is below the level of the float switch, its NOT bouncing.

I stated above I dumbed down the programming and removed the defer statement.

I like the combination of defer statements you provided and will use them when I figure out the problem.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anybody experienced the break out box bouncing the level on / off? and if so why?

First, check that both wires are securely connected to the BoB. If that's no the problem, do this test:

Disconnect both float switch wires from the BoB for a couple of minutes. Does the switch input stay OPEN and the ATO outlet stay ON?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.