Thread: Programming a flapping outlet

New User

Lightbulb Programming a flapping outlet

Hi everyone,

Has anyone ever setup an outlet to "flap" between on and off based on the optical sensor? In other words, when the optical sensor is covered/closed, turn an outlet/warning ON for 3 minutes, then turn off for XXX time (up to 24 hours), then recheck. I am trying to program a WARNING alert for topping off the ATO. Here is the background:

My ATO tank is 10gallon. Every week, or sooner, I have to manually top it off using my RODI filter. The water line runs through the house into the tank below my display. The doors are left open and I have to visually watch the tank fill over the 75 or so minutes. Not a big deal to watch, but distractions occur. My wife has overfilled it in the past, which the spill sensor picked up. But, I have this expensive computer called APEX that should be able to warn me as the water level in the ATO hit the max. At least, I think it should. So, I added the optical sensor in the ATO tank, and when it triggers CLOSED, that should turn on the alarm/warning, right? But, how do I set the alarm to auto stop after 3 minutes? Example, if playing a video game while filling up the ATO, you are distracted - why not use the warning function to let you know to shut off the water, right? It turns on WARNING for 3 minutes, then turns OFF for 24-36 hours and ignores the sensor, then rechecks the optical sensor, turn on if necessary (for 3 minutes), then off for 24-36 hours, etc.. I've tried nesting MINIMUM TIME and DEFER Statements, and even WHEN ON > 3:00 THEN OFF, but nothing works well.

In testing, I have tried to "flap" between on and off by covering the sensor and use MINIMUM TIME of 1 minute, and a DEFER of 1:00 for both ON and OFF - to try to get an outlet to oscillate for testing. It never worked.... If I use the WHEN statement (When On > 003:00 Then OFF), it turns the outlet completely OFF/OFF, not to AUTO/OFF. In order to reset for the next week's refill, I have to login to Fusion and move the slider. I know, it sounds like I am lazy, BUT there has to be a way to do this.

I am currently using a few virtual outlets to help manage this, but haven't figured out the right combination yet. Any help is appreciated!

ATOalarm
    Set OFF
    If Switchname CLOSED Then ON
    If Outlet AlmMaxTime = ON Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF

AlmMaxTime
    Set OFF
    If ATOalarm = ON Then ON
    Defer 003:00 Then ON
    Min Time XXX:XX Then ON

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    ATOalarm
    Set OFF
    If Switchname CLOSED Then ON
    If Outlet AlmMaxTime = ON Then OFF
    Defer 000:10 Then ON
    Defer 000:10 Then OFF

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Thank you Zombie! That did it. Only thing I added to the ATOalarm is:
    Min Time 999:59 Then OFF
    ..and changed the timing a bit.

So, once the warning goes off, it shuts off after 3 minutes, and it won't re-check the sensor for 999 minutes, roughly 16 1/2 hours (maximum). Awesome, thanks!