Thread: Can't connect to Apex via network!

Regular Vistor

Can't connect to Apex via network!

Hello all,

My 3 month old Linksys 3200ACM router took a dump, so I had to set up my old one. In my port forwarding configuration, after reading some comments I decided to take the internal port off 80 and created a new port number in Apex, then edited the port forwarding in my old Linksys router to reflect the change. I did not change the external port number. Now I can't connect to Apex via the network using my static IP. Apex does show up as a network device in my router using the same static IP address I assigned. Also, my original hardwired controller went out on me several months ago, so I can't connect directly and I'm now using an Amazon tablet as a local display.

How can I get back into Apex via the network?

Thanks
    JK

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    If you changed the port number on the Apex, then you'll need to add a colon and the port number to the end of the address in your browser. Example, using port 8080:

http://192.168.1.100:8080

Regular Vistor
    Thank you, I just figured that out. Appreciate the prompt response!

You should reset the Apex http port to normal (80) and remove the port forwarding from the router.

Port forwarding is not needed - you can use Apex Fusion without it. Doing port forwarding is strongly discouraged.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by RussM View Post
    You should reset the Apex http port to normal (80) and remove the port forwarding from the router.

Port forwarding is not needed - you can use Apex Fusion without it. Doing port forwarding is strongly discouraged.
    Thanks Russ, what issues does port forwarding cause? I'm more concerned about being able to access Apex via the network now that my hard controller is defunct and prefer to use a static IP for ease of use. Can I do that w/o port forwarding by just creating the static IP address under the Advanced Routing tab in my Linksys router?

Port forwarding represents a significant security risk. Port forwarding exposes the Apex directly to the Internet; even if you've configured your router to use a non-standard public port, it is still exposed. While the risk can be reduced, it cannot be eliminated - there is so much malicious activity out there on the Internet, it is not a matter of if the Apex will be found and attacked, it's a matter of WHEN it will be found and attacked; it's best not to do it at all.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Regular Vistor
    Got it, thanks.