Thread: Lighting Recommendations FOWLR

Lighting Recommendations FOWLR

Does anyone have any recommendations for lighting on my FOWLR Red Sea Reefer 525 (150cm wide)? Would rather have them on a bracket attached to the back glass and ideally one that links to my Apex...don’t want to spend a massive amount of money but I’m sure I’ll have to! Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump...Anyone???

You could probably get away with 2 kessils if you mount them high enough. That's probably as cheap as its gonna get without DIY if you want full apex control.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I’ve got a TMC V2 but it’s only made for up to 130cm tanks. Do you think this would be ok if I mounted it high enough? Apart from the coralline algae I’m not going to need much light am I? Is there anyway of getting this to work with my Apex? Thanks Zombie

Not zombie but imo just about any light is sufficient for a FOWLR. And while coralline algae grows best in clean water conditions (so it doesn't have to compete with other faster growing non-calcareous algaes) with good calcium and alk levels, many species really don't need much light; you will find it all over the rocks in mature tanks, even in rather dim nooks and crannies.

Taking a brief look at your light, it seems like it is self-contained with proprietary wifi control, and if so Apex control won't be possible, other than simple on/off functions. To control LED lights with the Apex you either need ones that have direct Apex integration (eg Radions), ones that can be controlled by IOTA (eg Hydras), or ones that can be controlled by a 0-10 V variable output cable (many brands and models.)

That’s really helpful...thanks! I am thinking of mounting the lights from the ceiling so I can get the width across the tank. Not sure what it’s going to look like though.

Sorry I’m completely new to the whole Apex system. What does the 0-10v module do? Is it just for lighting or can it be used in other applications?

Quote Originally Posted by ResolutionDP View Post
    That’s really helpful...thanks! I am thinking of mounting the lights from the ceiling so I can get the width across the tank. Not sure what it’s going to look like though.

Sorry I’m completely new to the whole Apex system. What does the 0-10v module do? Is it just for lighting or can it be used in other applications?

It allows you to control the brightness so it ramps up the intensity and changes the color throughout the day to mimic a real reef.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ResolutionDP View Post

It can also be used for anything with a 0-10 V input port; for example, controllable DC return pumps like the VarioS models.

Cheers guys