Thread: Where's your favorite Flow Program and Place to Put Your WAV's in Your SPS Tank?

Frequent Visitor

Where's your favorite Flow Program and Place to Put Your WAV's in Your SPS Tank?

I've got a 112 gallon SPS thank (ballpark 4x2x2 feet).

I've tried mounting them on the back and angling towards the center front panel, but the flow is weird and it moves sand everywhere.

I've also tried mounting on the mid side panels and pointing straight at each other, as well as mounting on the side panels towards the front and angling them in at the rock work on the back.

Still meh for all around flow with both of them.

Suggestions for the flow program and placement for an SPS dominant tank?

Side walls near top of tank pointing towards each other is how I do mine (though I use a gyre and a WAV instead of 2 WAVs). I also had an issue with sand blowing all over until I added a 1/2" layer of larger grain sand (2-6mm aragonite) over the top of the oolite and I was able to crank them up a lot without blowing sand.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    You will have to play around with placement and programs. Each tank is going to be different.

I have 2 on the left side of the tank attached to the back wall facing the right side of the front glass. I have 1 on the right side facing the left side. I have another on the right side of the back wall, facing the right side.

Tank is 5/3/3 and is SPS dominant mixed reef.

I have Mavericks, pulse and Malibu modes. Max is 80%. Right side is running on Inverse. Top right is 100% inverse, back wall is at 50% inverse.

Frequent Visitor
    Interesting. I've been moving them all over and have found that while not necessarily the most attractive option...

I have two Wav's, one on the left panel and one on the right panel, facing each other. They are in the middle about 2/3rds of the way up.

I can really crank them up without the sand blowing all over the place.

Although, I'm finding that running one at a time at around 90%, seems to really get things ripping in the tank. They seem to cancel each other out a bit and cause more of a central swirl when on at high intensity. Which isn't a bad thing to randomize the flow.

Regular Vistor
    I currently have 1 on each side panel and considering adding a 3rd on the backwall centered. A am running a modified program I downloaded from wizkidd in the wizard and have pleanty of PE in an SPS tank with 90% small frags. My FLO is usually between 4.2-5.2. I have tons of surface agitation so my overflow can become a bit noisy. I am hoping with a 3rd I can dial down the 2 sides a bit and quiet down the ghost overflow while increasing the FLO. Still very impressive with only 2 pumps on a 60"x24"x24" tank

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    You will have to play around with placement and programs. Each tank is going to be different.

I have 2 on the left side of the tank attached to the back wall facing the right side of the front glass. I have 1 on the right side facing the left side. I have another on the right side of the back wall, facing the right side.

Tank is 5/3/3 and is SPS dominant mixed reef.

I have Mavericks, pulse and Malibu modes. Max is 80%. Right side is running on Inverse. Top right is 100% inverse, back wall is at 50% inverse.
    You have a picture of that placement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk