Thread: Firmware update failure Apex Lite

New User

Firmware update failure Apex Lite

Hi. I'm running a Mac. Tried to update firmware. Connected directly to router. Wireless turned off. In the middle of update Console tells me that Flash memory erased then uploading flash. Error sending block 81: Operation timed out. It kept trying to send block 81 but was unable. ApexFlash can't unlock controller. Unable to update using new bootloader. Attempting to update with old bootloader. Update failed. Now I have a dead controller. Have tried many many times to power down controller then update flash then power up controller but no joy. Only have blinking yellow lite. Nothing on monitor. ApexBrowse shows apex and says update sucessful and pings it. Nothing, just blinking yellow lite. Have read thru this forum and have found no answers. Am I missing something? Help Please.

Do this:

-Power OFF your controller including disconnecting any secondary power

-Start the firmware update

-Wait for the firmware updater to 'timeout' once or twice

-Power up your controller

-This may take a couple of tries, just repeat the process starting with powering OFF the controller

NOTE: There cannot be any Wi-Fi in the path between the Apex and the computer. Do the above with Wi-Fi turned off in your PC or Mac, the PC or Mac connected directly to your router with a network cable, and the Apex also directly connected to the router with a network cable.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

New User
    Thanks for the reply. Have been trying to do that for the last 3 hours. Continues to tell me that it is unable to unlock controller. Nothing is plugged into the controller except power, the monitor and the router. Wifi is off. Tried it several more times while waiting for reply. Blinking yellow lite. One thing I didn't mention earlier is that when ApexFlash is searching for the controller it comes up with the network address, port, MAC address and the running mode says bootloader.

Unable to unlock means you used the wrong login credentials (they are not your fusion credentials). It will say failed to connect if you have the wrong IP.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    It has shown me 3 different ip addresses. The original is coming up now but two others that came up which I wrote down do not work either. One of them isn't even on my network. I get the same messages for all three.

New User
    Is that it? Is there no way to remedy this problem? Unable to unlock controller is a death sentence? I'm at a loss as to how to unlock the controller when it won't boot and I have tried the only IP addresses I know of. All three IP's have been generated by the apex apps trying to load firmware.

Can you verify fro jm your routers connected devices page what the apex ip address is?

Make sure you are using the login credentials for the classic dashboard and not fusion.

If you can't get it to work, you will need to contact support and may need to send it in.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Yes it shows. It's one of the three. Just tried it again. Sent 30 pings with no response. Failed to unlock, timed out. I also tried using the IP in the browser and couldn't find server. I guess while updating it corrupted itself and turned itself into a brick. Like I've said, I have tried to power down then update to timed out then powered up but get the same thing over and over and a blinking yellow lite. I appreciate the help but I have contacted Neptune support. And by the way, firewall was turned off at beginning.