Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DOS is Dumping Alk and CA at the Same Time Pretty Frequently. Can I change that?

Quote Originally Posted by deputydog95 View Post
    I know they're generally small doses and it shouldn't matter if they go at the same time once in a while, but the OCD in me likes things the way I like them
    Honestly I'm the same way, that's why I made the list.

Regular Vistor
    It does seem a shame that the Apex Fusion software doesn't have an input field for "min time between heads". My Vertex Libra doser used to have that setting.

Even if Fusion only allowed the user to avoid simultaneous dosing on a maximum of 2 user specified dosing heads it would be useful. I guess the other option is to route the tubing from 2-part to different sections of the sump... but that might annoy the neat freaks even more than the simultaneous dosing of both parts!

I'm dosing Ca during the day and Alk through the night. This avoids any chance of simultaneous dosing though it might not be the most stable for water chemistry! I'm only dosing a small volume, so probably not the end of the world either.

I see that you guys are splitting the 2-part dosing over a full 24 hours... I wonder if it makes more sense to dose only during the photoperiod (or reverse photoperiod) depending when corals tend to consume the elements from the water.

With the advent of Trident and other Alk monitoring systems it will be interesting to see if we can figure out what doing schedule keeps parameters most stable. I've never used a calcium reactor but I assume they run 24x7 - maybe 2-part dosing to a schedule can do better... fool those corals to behave as if the water column is infinite...

-droog

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    With the advent of Trident and other Alk monitoring systems it will be interesting to see if we can figure out what doing schedule keeps parameters most stable. I've never used a calcium reactor but I assume they run 24x7 - maybe 2-part dosing to a schedule can do better... fool those corals to behave as if the water column is infinite...

-droog
    The task wizard for setting up controlled dosing with the Trident and DOS does do this. It has the option to dose heavier during the day when Alk is used at a greater rate. If I am recalling correctly it automatically sets up Alk dosing to do 75% during your photoperiod and the rest at night. The ratio was determined during the Trident testing. It of course does allow you to modify that if needed.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by nicholb View Post
    The task wizard for setting up controlled dosing with the Trident and DOS does do this. It has the option to dose heavier during the day when Alk is used at a greater rate. If I am recalling correctly it automatically sets up Alk dosing to do 75% during your photoperiod and the rest at night. The ratio was determined during the Trident testing. It of course does allow you to modify that if needed.
    Nice! Does it automatically avoid simultaneous dosing or no?

NSI Member
    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Nice! Does it automatically avoid simultaneous dosing or no?
    No. Personally I have not had any problems due to that. When you dose over 24h it is putting very little in at a time. I also have the 2-part going into a higher flow area of my sump.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12