Thread: Skimmer programming

New User

Skimmer programming

When I lose power the airline to my skimmer pump comes loose and when power is restored it doesn't always sit correctly on the pump...sometimes not at all...resulting in water in the cup and overflow.

I want to set the outlet that if I lose power to keep it off until I manually turn it back on. How would I do this?
    Right now I have this set:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF
    If Output 180Return = OFF Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 720 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

So the 720 would be 12 hours, but if I'm gone for the weekend...that doesn't exactly help me. Getting an alert that the power went out and I Can check things out then manually turn this back on?

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBowhunter82 View Post
    When I lose power the airline to my skimmer pump comes loose and when power is restored it doesn't always sit correctly on the pump...sometimes not at all...resulting in water in the cup and overflow.

I want to set the outlet that if I lose power to keep it off until I manually turn it back on. How would I do this?
    Right now I have this set:

Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF
    If Output 180Return = OFF Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 720 Then OFF

So the 720 would be 12 hours, but if I'm gone for the weekend...that doesn't exactly help me. Getting an alert that the power went out and I Can check things out then manually turn this back on?
    Your If Power statement won’t do what you think it will - that statement will only result in the outlet being OFF if power is out for >= 12 hours, until then it will be ON. I also assume ‘Output’ is a typo as the correct term is ‘Outlet’.

I think you will need a VO for this. The code below should work. The [] are just for readability, as are the — comment entries, remove both before putting it in Fusion.

[SkimmerOverride]
    Set OFF
    If Power Apex OFF 001 Then ON — Using OFF 001 to avoid being tripped due to reboots
    Defer 720:00 then OFF

[Skimmer]
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    If FeedA 005 Then OFF
    If Outlet 180Return = OFF Then OFF
    If Outlet SkimmerOverride = ON then OFF

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would buy some airline with a thicker wall so it fits tighter and you resolve the root problem rather than a bandaid

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I would buy some airline with a thicker wall so it fits tighter and you resolve the root problem rather than a bandaid

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    I agree!

New User
    Tastee -
    Thanks that makes sense. New to Apex didn't think about using a VO in that way.

The issue is the connection at the pump the plastic piece that the airline connects to, which then connects to the pump itself is either worn out or something it only stays on because of the suction of the pump. It's an Aquamaxx skimmer/pump.

replacement-pump-for-aquamaxx-cone-2-protein-skimmer-3.jpg

Here you can see the photo shows it just staying on the pump, it did when I first got the pump but for whatever reason over the years it no longer stays.

Not a big deal except the 2 times a year we lose power. Even then this tank and sump are in my unfinished basement just not real interested in buying a new pump for it yet.

Appreciate the feedback on the programming I'll test that out and look more into virtual outlets for other purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by MOBowhunter82 View Post
    Doesn't the same thing happen when you use FeedA or otherwise turn off the return pump? To the skimmer pump, there's really no difference between a power outage and it being just turned off.

I agree w/ the others - fix the problem rather than do some kludge of a programming workaround.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    It would yes but I've never turned off my skimmer for feeding so this is literally just an issue if the power goes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
    Your If Power statement won’t do what you think it will - that statement will only result in the outlet being OFF if power is out for >= 12 hours, until then it will be ON.
    Nope - that is not how If Power Apex works. If Power Apex Off ### Then OFF = While power is out and for an additional ### minutes after power is restored, keep the output turned OFF.

Quote Originally Posted by Tastee View Post
    I also assume ‘Output’ is a typo as the correct term is ‘Outlet’.
    This is also incorrect. "If Output" and "If Outlet" are synonymous and both are valid. "If Outlet" is the older term, which is now simply an alias for "If Output", a newer command introduced over 2 years ago. If Outlet is still valid to use; if you use If Outlet statements, they will automatically be converted to If Output. You may continue to use If Outlet…., but try to get in the habit of using the newer and preferred If Output syntax.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Oops!

Thanks for the corrections RussM.