Thread: DOS/Trident ALK Adjustments vs. Alkatronic

DOS/Trident ALK Adjustments vs. Alkatronic

Hello,

Will the DOS be able to auto DOS ALK if it drops when used in conjunction with the Trident? or even minimize dosing of ALK if it goes beyond a certain point.

With the advanced programming available I'm assuming it will. I ask because if this is possible it should give the Alkatronic a run for its money. What I like about the Alkatronic is the ability to actually control ALK not just monitor so thought I'd ask if this would be possible with a DOS/Trident combo.

Price wise they then would be comparable considering the Trident will be around $600 and the DOS $300. The reagent may run a higher on the Trident based on what I've read so far.

I don't know how exactly to incorporate it since I don't have one yet, but I can guarantee you there will be a way to do it since you can already do so with things like an alkatronic.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

According to Paul and Terence on the latest "Lets Talk Reef" it was discussed that the Trident will be able to have some control over the DOS. Now this is just how it is currently but after NSI testing things may change and Calcium Reactor adjustments maybe possible as well, but for now this is how its going to work.

Lets Talk Reef

You test manually or use your Trident to monitor Alk and Calcium without dosing. After a few days you should be able to get a daily consumption rate. You then manually set your DOS to add the correct ml/day to match this consumption rate. Same way that everyone does it currently. The new control added by the Trident is to add a buffer on top of this preset amount.

Example
    Normal consumption 50ml/day to maintain 9dkh
    Trident is testing Alk 4 times a day. Most times its measuring 9dkh. DOS just keeps doing it thing.
    You frag some corals or you scrap your coraline on the glass. A test or two later dkh measures at 10. This means something happened and alkalinity uptake has slowed. A communication would happen to tell the DOS to hold adding more until the next test drops back to 9dkh.
    You add a bunch of new frags or some new foods spurred some growth. The next few tests show 8dkh. The next thing it would do would tell the DOS to add a few more ml on each dose.
    The part that interested me the most was the safety feature. You want to have your manually set 50ml amount as this is most often going to be the amount needed. If a test comes back and your dkh says the water is 5-6dkh you DO NOT want your Trident going into T-1000 mode and adding 100-200ml quickly thinking it needs to get back up to 9. You want the Trident to just send you an alert and have the DOS revert back to the normal value of 50ml/day until you figure out what larger issue most likely caused the error. Air in the Trident lines from a lose tube, reagent running very low, etc

If you run the Trident for a few weeks/months at a normal 50ml/day amount and after awhile the Trident is telling your DOS to do 55-60ml/day that it would alert you that its been over your preset amount for a long period of time. Maybe its a good idea to manually confirm your new set amount at 60.