Thread: Problem with dimmable T5s

New User

Problem with dimmable T5s

I am running a pair of actinics on a dimmable ballast. I configured them via the wizard to ramp up in the morning and ramp down at night. However during the ramp periods they dim up and down constantly.

I tried advanced programming with the following code but I get an error - can someone help me out?

SET OFF
    If 06:00 to 10:00 Then T5 RampUp
    If 20:00 to 21:0 Then RampDown
    if 21:01 to 5:59 Then OFF

What is the error message?

This line is not valid: If 06:00 to 10:00 Then T5 RampUp

There can only be one word after the 'Then' keyword, and you have two, which in your case must be the exact name of the profile you defined.

And, you are missing the Time keyword in all three statements.

You'd be better off using the wizard - it's much easier. Try it again; I think you might have still had the default program in there (Set PF#) Was the light changing every 5 seconds?
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    That was actually a typo - the profile is named T5Rampup which is how I had typed it in but still got an error uploading it.

I don't understand what you mean by saving the pf#. I'm using the wizard on the vase_var1 device and other than choosing advanced programming, I don't see how I can add a profile. What I did was to re-save the scheme. I'll see if that fixed it.

Sent from around the way using Tapatalk

While viewing the wizard, click the gear icon in the upper right. Then click the Advanced tab. If there is a Set statement in there, delete it.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

New User
    I managed to get a ramp schedule coded through advanced programming but unfortunately, the fluctuating continues - very dim for about 45 seconds then bright for 45 secs and on and on. Here's what I programmed:

Very few if any dimmable T5 fixtures can reliable dim near the lower intensities.

If using the wizard, you need to put two points right next to each other that ramp quickly from 0 to whatever intensity wont flicker on you (likely 10 or 15 percent) over the minimum 1 minute between points. Then you can ramp as slowly or quickly as you like.

If using profiles, you need to change your min intensity to whatever intensity won't flicker.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    I tried your suggestion to no avail but the plot thickens...

I manually turned off the 0-10v signal by moving the slider to OFF for the varspd1 channel (the one with the profiles for dimming the T5s).
    I manually turned on Outlet 1 on the EB82 where I have the T5 fixture connected.
    Guess what??? I'm getting the same output! The lights dim in and out every 45 seconds (there's no fading, they jut switch back-and-forth from dim to bright). I tired this experiment this morning before the ramp profile was scheduled to begin at 06:30.

I'm suspecting either:
    1) some sort of interference (0-10v signal wires too close to something? But weird because 0-10v signal turned off); or
    2) possibly my Apex brain is defective?

What's your thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by EuroDriver View Post
    I tried your suggestion to no avail but the plot thickens...

I manually turned off the 0-10v signal by moving the slider to OFF for the varspd1 channel (the one with the profiles for dimming the T5s).
    I manually turned on Outlet 1 on the EB82 where I have the T5 fixture connected.
    Guess what??? I'm getting the same output! The lights dim in and out every 45 seconds (there's no fading, they jut switch back-and-forth from dim to bright). I tired this experiment this morning before the ramp profile was scheduled to begin at 06:30.

I'm suspecting either:
    1) some sort of interference (0-10v signal wires too close to something? But weird because 0-10v signal turned off); or
    2) possibly my Apex brain is defective?

What's your thoughts?
    Sounds like there is an issue with the lights themselves and/or a wiring error. If it was a problem with the varspd your test would have just shut them off.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Sounds like there is an issue with the lights themselves and/or a wiring error. If it was a problem with the varspd your test would have just shut them off.

I definitely have some troubleshooting to do. Any suggestions on where to start? Up to a couple of weeks ago when I migrated to Apex, I ran this setup on a Reefkeeper - (RKE and then on the Archon) for the past 3 years or so without any issues. Thus I'm very perplexed. BTW I soldered and shrink-wrapped the wires to the RJ-45 adapter kit so a loose connection should not be an issue.

I definitely have some troubleshooting to do. Any suggestions on where to start? Up to a couple of weeks ago when I migrated to Apex, I ran this setup on a Reefkeeper - (RKE and then on the Archon) for the past 3 years or so without any issues. Thus I'm very perplexed. BTW I soldered and shrink-wrapped the wires to the RJ-45 adapter kit so a loose connection should not be an issue.
    Are you sure you wired to the correct colors 9n the ethernet cable and also that you are using the right variable speed port?

New User
    I am 99.999% certain I wired them correctly but for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to tear it apart and double-check. I followed this how-to by RussM: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...e-amp-DIY-LEDs (Red to - / Black to +)
    I don't remember exactly what but something in Fusion let me know that port 1 was the right one. How can I confirm this?

Thanks for all your help BTW

I am 99.999% certain I wired them correctly but for the sake of my sanity, I'm going to tear it apart and double-check. I followed this how-to by RussM: https://forum.neptunesystems.com/sho...e-amp-DIY-LEDs (Red to - / Black to +)
    I don't remember exactly what but something in Fusion let me know that port 1 was the right one. How can I confirm this?

Thanks for all your help BTW

The ports are 1-4 left to right. If you have the dimming cable plugged into the left port and you are using the leftmost of the two bundles, then port 1 is what is controlling the fixture. If that isn't the case, you need to program the correct port or wire to port 1.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    The ports are 1-4 left to right. If you have the dimming cable plugged into the left port and you are using the leftmost of the two bundles, then port 1 is what is controlling the fixture. If that isn't the case, you need to program the correct port or wire to port 1.

You nailed it! I was on the leftmost port but on the rightmost set of wires. All good now - thanks so much for your help