Thread: Looks like my EB832 has packed it in

Regular Vistor

Looks like my EB832 has packed it in

Hello,
    I looks like my Energy bar 832 has packed it in. I have had it running my aquarium for almost 2 years now, but yesterday while I was doing some aquarium maintenance, it seems to have packed it in on me. I was running my "manual feed" cycle to hold my pumps off (turns off power heads, return and skimmer) I am not going to bother posting the programming as I have been using this for years and it has always worked fine and each device reacts to the virtual outlet "Manual Feed" differently when it is turned on. While I was working in the tank, I noticed that one of the power heads (connected to outlet 7) cycled on and off quickly a couple of times in a row, but then stopped. I didn't think much of it at the time, but when it came time to turn things back on, nothing would come back on? I noticed that there was an update available, so I took that, but no effect. I cycled power to the controller and energy bar a few times, and this also had no effect. Things that are not connected to the EB 832 are still being controlled fine (like my DOS is still chugging along). The power bar is getting power, but the outlets are not turned on, even though the power bar itself and the fusion program believe that they are. After several hours, I started getting a low temperature alarm because my heater was plugged into the power bar, and this outlet also stopped working even though it is not involved in the "feed" cycle program. I had attached 3 power heads, return pump, skimmer, Eheim 200W heater, and there was a second return pump and an LED light strip that weren't currently being used (that run my reactor and Cheato reactor)... Because I was having an issue with my Jabeo DC pump. I figure there is not much that can be done, but thought perhaps someone has some insight, or has seen this themselves.
    Thanks In Advance
    Ron
    Attached Images Attached Images

Frequent griper
    Did you check the circuit breaker on the back of the EB832?
    Does the outlet that the EB832 is plugged into have power?

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Walker View Post
    Did you check the circuit breaker on the back of the EB832?
    Does the outlet that the EB832 is plugged into have power?
    Hi Stan,
    Thanks for the reply. yes I checked the wall outlet, and it does have power. you can also see in the picture that I had attached to the original message that the unit is getting power as the lights are on, and it is still powering my other devices through the one link system, it is just the outlets that are no longer functioning. I pressed and then pressed and held the little button on the back of the unit, but I didn't notice anything one way of the other? I have to admit that I wasn't exactly sure what the button was actually for, but I figured it was a reset for a breaker, but potentially I didn't use it correctly? I am thinking that the outlets are just not cycling on, as normally I hear them "Click" on and off as I adjust the outlets on the Fusion program, but since this occurred, I get nothing? Also note that when the issue happened most of the attached stuff was off... I keep thinking about how that one power head cycled on and off a couple of times while I was cleaning the aquarium... I am guessing I was witnessing the demise of whatever controls the outlets turning on/off.
    Anyway, thanks for your reply... Any thoughts, have you experienced anything similar?
    Cheers
    Ron

Frequent Contributor SuncrestReef's Avatar
    Two thoughts:

1. The EB832 status lights show 6 of the outlets are on, but in the photo most of those outlets don't have anything plugged in. It looks like only #7 has a power adapter. What happens if you plug something in to the outlets that indicate On?

2. You said it's not responding when you click Feed mode or other buttons. Are you only doing this through Fusion, or have you tried http://apex.local to see if it responds? I've had a couple of occasions where Fusion wasn't communicating properly, but the Local interface worked fine.

Regular Vistor
    Hey Suncrest,
    So yes, there were 6 lights on the EB832 because it still thinks it is controlling 6 things... I had to plug them in elsewhere to avoid crashing my aquarium. Right now they are plugged into a standard power bar with no control... a recipe for disaster. outlet #7 was one of my power heads, but it is currently being cleaned, so not in use until I finish cleaning (so I had left it plugged in because wasn't needing to run it at this point). Plugging anything into any of these outlets does not work... I used a little lamp.

When I said "not responding" I meant when I turned the virtual outlet "Manual Feed" back to off (which should allow these devices to run again), but also when I manually turned the individual devices on and off with the Fusion. I did not try the apex.local as you suggested above... I will give it a try when I get home this evening.
    Thanks for your suggestion
    Ron