Thread: Which Pump as Dedicated Chiller Pump?

New User

Which Pump as Dedicated Chiller Pump?

I'll start by saying that I'm wondering myself if it's an absolute waste to dedicate either of these pumps to the miserly function of running a chiller. Now that I got that off my chest, here's my situation:

I have a 180 DT with dual overflows on 1" plumbing, a 60 gallon sump and a COR-20 for the return pump. It feeds to a manifold that on the left goes to the return via 1" hose. On the right, it is reduced to 3/4" to feed the chiller before going to the right return. The chiller is a 1/3 HP JBJ Arctica. The largest barb size available for it is 3/4," thus the smaller plumbing on the right.

As a result, I have very poor flow on the right, no matter how much I throttle the left return. Thus I decided it will best to dedicate the COR-20 to the returns and run the chiller on a separate pump.

The chiller has a min/max flow rating of 480-2400 gph. To me, this seems like a ridiculously wide range and I doubt it can run efficiently at either extreme. With no empirical data in hand, I have single-handedly concluded that a flow rate of 800-1000 gph would be ideal (just because it falls in the middle of the suggested range).

I figured the COR-15 is a good candidate, running comfortably at around 75-80%. I was also enticed by the fact that unlike its bigger sibling, it doesn't require a separate power supply, so I ordered one - but I'm having buyer's remorse.

I started reading the manual and it caught my eye when it casually mentions that "if you also have WAV pumps and/or other DC24 accessories, refer to the section entitled COR-15 Special Considerations." I found no such section but thanks to the forum here, I learned that if several accessories are running simultaneously through the 1link ports, you can overload (cause a fever and even possibly assassinate) the EB832 or the 1link module. (At this point, I won't dare to connect the chiller through the Apex but that's a rant for another time, somewhere else).

Well guess what? I'm running 2 WAVs and a PMUP for the ATO. I also have a 2nd PMUP on the launch pad for automated water changes. Knowing what I now know, I'm really worried whether I made the right call with the COR-15.

Ok, I'm rambling on - your turn to talk. Here's what I'm wondering:

1) Is the COR-15 the right call?

2) For $50 more, am I better off with another COR-20 instead? (another power brick but avoids the possibility of an overload and can serve as a spare if its sibling were to meet an unexpected demise)

3) Is either pump too much for the intended purpose? and whether that's the case or not;

4) Am I just foolishly throwing money at this when I'm just as well off with a basic AC pump for probably less than half the cost (I was thinking energy efficiency along with the convenience of fine-tuning the flow but the CORs seem a bit power-hungry anyway).

I look forward to your thoughts, comments and criticisms

Sent from around the way using Tapatalk

You either need a COR20 or use an AC or DC pump for this. The 1link cant handle the addition of a COR15 with what you have. Which method you go is really a value judgement.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Thanks for the advice and for putting it so nicely

Sent from around the way using Tapatalk