Thread: All Programming is gone!!

Frequent Visitor

All Programming is gone!!

I logged into Fusion yesterday and discovered that all of my custom programming that has been running for a couple years is completely gone! All outlets have changed to the default factory state. outlets are now named things like CO2, which I have never had a calcium reactor. All of my lighting settings are gone as well. There is absolutely zero programming left in the Apex. What could have happened and is there a way to get it back.

My guess is it somehow got a factory reset. Exactly how that happened could be a number of possibilities that we will probably never know what actually caused it. I have seen a couple instances over the years where a hacker got into a port forwarded apex and initialized all just for fun (they had port 80 forwarded which is a big no-no). I have also seen kids do it from an unlocked display.

If you remembered to back up your configuration at some point, you can restore your backup. If you never did this, you will need to reprogram from scratch.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Zombie .....How can you backup your configuration ???

Quote Originally Posted by MarineGP View Post
    It's on the load/save page of the classic dashboard.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineGP View Post

One way to easily record all your Apex code, which would at least save a lot of time by copy-pasting if you had to recode everything from scratch, is to go to the name of your system at the upper left of the Fusion dash, pull down the menu Configuration -> Summary, and load the page. Then right click on the page and select Save Page As... (on PC, probably similar on Mac) to save a full copy of all your code as well as module and output lists for that system.

You can download an apexcfg.bin file from the Misc page of Apex Local as well, which can theoretically be used to restore a corrupt system, but it's tricky and has some pre-restore requirements that must be met for it to be used successfully.

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by rkpetersen View Post
    One way to easily record all your Apex code, which would at least save a lot of time by copy-pasting if you had to recode everything from scratch, is to go to the name of your system at the upper left of the Fusion dash, pull down the menu Configuration -> Summary, and load the page. Then right click on the page and select Save Page As... (on PC, probably similar on Mac) to save a full copy of all your code as well as module and output lists for that system.

You can download an apexcfg.bin file from the Misc page of Apex Local as well, which can theoretically be used to restore a corrupt system, but it's tricky and has some pre-restore requirements that must be met for it to be used successfully.
    What are the pre-restore requirements?

For anyone lost in saving a configuration, here are my steps, I did not find Neptune documentation of this anywhere. there is a brief mention of the capability on page 138 of the comprehensive reference manual but no instructions nor could I find pre-restore requirements

On the new APEX, it was hard finding where to backup/load a configuration file. I found it by logging into APEX/Local.
    Then you click on the system on the top left-hand side (house-system) to get a dropdown menu.
    You click on Misc option.
    When the Misc menu pops up there are 3 buttons across the top. You need to click on the right-hand most button. I think this is supposed to be a hard drive.
    That will bring you to the save/load menu. I saved my most recent configuration file (goes into browser download area) renamed it (apexcfg-02-03-19.bin) and moved it to where I can find it again.

I have not tried to load a configuration back, I figured I would wait until forced. When you try to load a configuration file, it does allow you to select what you want, i.e. - outlets, profiles, probe names, as well as display, network and misc configurations. you can select some or all. After loading the configuration file, The Apex will automatically restart for the new configuration to take effect.

You can't do this from the fusion app or fusion webpage.

I also doConfiguration -> Summary and do a select all complete save of that web page. However, using that as a backup means a lot of copy/paste.

Quote Originally Posted by ggrise View Post
    [COLOR=#ff0000][B]What are the pre-restore requirements?
    The pre-restore requirements are

1. The module addresses must match the saved configuration. I like to attach a screenshot of the module page so things get plugged back in the right order.

2. You must have the same number of virtual outlets created. I like to print the config summary in that folder as well so I know how many need to be created.

In addition, the season table, networking, and clock setups need to be done as well before restoring even though the restore can work without them matching the old config.

New User
    Thanks, zombie. I am adding a snapshot of module page now. Already have the config summary saved.

My understanding is that the hardware addresses, as well as outputs and virtual outputs, need to be identical to prior to the failure for a restore to work. This could be very difficult if rebuilding a system from scratch after a serious failure, if you didn't keep a record of what modules were at what addresses and what virtual outputs you had configured prior to the data loss. This is where saving the configuration summary can be invaluable. Another approach to system backup, which I also do but is more time consuming, is saving screenshots of all the major Fusion and Local pages.