Thread: Conductivity probe reading sliding

New User

Conductivity probe reading sliding

Bought an Apex just 2 weeks ago, the Conductivity probe has read a little high when compared to my calibrated refractometer (was off by about 1, measuring 35.7 when actual was more like 34.5) but figured it was close enough to alert me if something was wrong.

However I got an alert from my Apex this morning while at work that it was below 32. It kept dropping. I had my wife check when she got home a couple hours later and she can't find anything wrong with the tank. The auto top off didn't get stuck, water level is correct, etc. But the reading has just continued a steady free fall. See image below it's down to 24.5 now.

So when I get home, what should I be doing with the probe? Aside from making sure there's no air bubbles (shouldn't be I'm running a herbie overfloow and there's no bubbles in my sump) what are the steps for diagnosing what's going on with it? I can't imagine this has anything to do with calibration as it was calibrated when I bought it just 2 weeks back.

Anyone see this happen before?

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 3.07.52 PM.png

New User
    Just got an alert that the alarm was now off so I checked and sure enough it's reading 35.7 now doesn't seem to be rising anymore either. What's going on?

Screen Shot 2019-01-31 at 3.48.15 PM.png

Frequent Visitor
    That is usually a bubble issue. Small bubbles collect on the probe lowering the reading, once they get to a size big enough, they float off and the reading jumps back.

New User
    Thanks for the reply. I do believe that's what it was. Just need my wife to understand better that the little details do matter lol

I got home and went down to check and the siphon drain was actually slightly out of the water. The ATO reservoir was empty. So the drain water was creating bubbles. I asked those questions when I called her but she must not have understood.

I took care of it and shook the probe to get any bubbles off, it jumped up to 50 and is slowly coming down.
    Next on my list is actually to setup a camera that I can access to see the sump area (in my basement) to make these things easier to look into remotely.

Frequent Contributor
    Quote Originally Posted by MOBowhunter82 View Post
    I took care of it and shook the probe to get any bubbles off, it jumped up to 50 and is slowly coming down.
    It is faster to remove the probe from the water and wait until it reads <20 and the place it back in the sump and give a gentle shake.
    Jon