Thread: heater controller to use in conjunction to apex with titanium heater element

Regular Vistor

heater controller to use in conjunction to apex with titanium heater element

So first off I live in Minnesota, it gets (stupid) cold, I have been running two Finnex titanium 500w heaters with two EB832 (one in each EB) for my 140 gal system for the past 6 months without issue. I use a temp probe in my sump with one heater is a primary (on at 77.9 off at 78.1) the other is a fallback, (on at 77.5 of at 78.1). I watched a few videos recently (BRS and Neptunes) that mention a titanium heater needs a second fail safe such as a temp controller between the apex and heater, making it more like a conventional heater, which i understand. I previously ran ehiems and the only reason to get away from them is i can't fit 2 250w (4 for redundancy) in my sump, as many of your are aware the ehiems are giants compared to the other options.

Now, after looking at inkbird, JBJ and a few other temp controllers, they all seem to be flawed with a decent amount of issues after reading the reviews. The JBJ temp sensor goes bad and reads off, the inkbird one cannot calibrate. So in my opinion this option would be introducing more error instead of helping. Not to mention they are 40-100 bucks each (80-200 for my pair).

So i wonder what others have done in a similar situation, I was debating on just getting a PM1 and adding an additional temp sensor in the DT, since neptune temp sensors have been very robust for me in the past 5-6 years of using them along with it would be 120 with the probe.

I just use the integrated thermostats on my heaters themselves (finnex titanium)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm running 4 of the Finnex Titanium 500W heaters (the ones without built in thermostats). I have Inkbird ITC-306T ' s on all of them. There is an option to calibrate them.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    I just use the integrated thermostats on my heaters themselves (finnex titanium)

my finned do not have integrated thermostats

Quote Originally Posted by Jstn View Post
    my finned do not have integrated thermostats
    I'm aware. I mentioned what I do because replacing one of your 500W with an equivalent heater with built in thermostat is basically the same price as buying a high quality heater controller like a ranco.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by mil3sdavis View Post
    I'm running 4 of the Finnex Titanium 500W heaters (the ones without built in thermostats). I have Inkbird ITC-306T ' s on all of them. There is an option to calibrate them.
    How long have you had it, any complaints or reviews?

I'm aware. I mentioned what I do because replacing one of your 500W with an equivalent heater with built in thermostat is basically the same price as buying a high quality heater controller like a ranco.

Im not aware of a 500w titanium heater that has a build in controller, I know they make the smaller 100-300w ones but space is a premium so i won't be running 4x 300 watts?

Quote Originally Posted by Jstn View Post
    Im not aware of a 500w titanium heater that has a build in controller, I know they make the smaller 100-300w ones but space is a premium so i won't be running 4x 300 watts?
    https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/finn...BoCfC8QAvD_BwE

Regular Vistor
    https://www.fishtanksdirect.com/finn...BoCfC8QAvD_BwE

well I think this is the answer ! I saw BRS didn’t have them so I assumed, thank you !

[QUOTE=Jstn;160209]How long have you had it, any complaints or reviews?

I’ve only had them for a few weeks. I added them after BRS put out their heating video. I don’t have any complaints. They all appear to work exactly like they should.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk