Thread: Setting up apex classic without display.

New User

Setting up apex classic without display.

Need help to set up a classic without a display. I have a pretty good idea of what to do but I just want to make sure. It’s a used unit but I want to make sure I know how to get the IP address and everything to use it solely over WiFi.

Ask the previous owner to set a static IP through their classic dashboard before you take it home to something on the same subnet as your router. (Ex if the IP address on your computer at home is 192.168.1.12 set the IP to 192.168.1.123, gateway and primary DNS to whatever your routers address is, subnet to 255.255.255.0 and secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8) Then when you take it home you can just plug it in and roll.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    I’ll ask if he did already but I just received it in the mail. Plan on getting it set up in the morning. I’ll double check with the previous owner. What would be the protocol if it was reset to factory?

Quote Originally Posted by Blp4105 View Post
    I’ll ask if he did already but I just received it in the mail. Plan on getting it set up in the morning. I’ll double check with the previous owner. What would be the protocol if it was reset to factory?
    Using the firmware update utility, hit the magnifying lens to search for the apex. There is an option there to configure the ip address. Since you don't have a display, you will want to disable DHCP and use a static IP using the guidelines above so it doesn't change around on you. Do all of this over ethernet first before trying to get it working wirelessly.

New User
    So if it changes I’ll just have to keep retrying?

Quote Originally Posted by Blp4105 View Post
    So if it changes I’ll just have to keep retrying?
    No. I am saying that if DHCP is enabled, every time your router reboots you apex will be assigned a different address. This would require you to open the firmware update utility every time you want to access the classic dashboard. A static IP never changes so you just need to memorize or write down that number and can get in without the firmware update utility.