Thread: Sump high level sensor

Frequent Visitor

Sump high level sensor

I recently had my auto top off malfunction and dump 5 gallons of our RODI water into my sump. Not an emergency under normal circumstances, but I had a tank sitter who noticed the ATO pump running and the 5 gallon container empty and replaced it with a full one. At least he noticed the sump level was very high and called me. I shut down the RODI pump and no flooding occurred.

No harm to the occupants of the display tank and I’m allowing evaporation to return the sump level to normal.

I would like input on a sensor for my sump to detect high water level and shut off the pump and send me an alarm/alert.

I happen to have a breakout box on hand.

Float switch and a mount for it is what you need.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you for the input. That seams to be a more affordable solution than the FFM and optical sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by dbdisok View Post
    That seams to be a more affordable solution than the FFM and optical sensor.
    True, but don't overlook other uses for the FMM which could make the cost a worthwhile investment. The FMM has 4 sensor ports; for example, you could use one for an optical sensor in your sump to detect high level, another optical to put in your ATO reservoir to alert you of a low RODI level (before it is empty), and also add two leak sensors. Leak sensors are something I feel every Apex owner should be using. As the old expression goes, it's not a matter of if there will be a leak or water-on-floor problem, it's a matter of when one will occur.

Years ago, I had a PVC fitting split. I got a text message about a leak just as I was going to bed. It was a fairly quick matter to temporarily deal with until the next day. Had I not had leak sensors and gotten that notification, I would have had a serious problem the next morning - not just a lot of saltwater to clean up, but a highly upset wife. Up until this incident, my wife considered my aquarium controllers to just be geeky toys. That night, she changed her mind, and came to appreciate the Apex as the valuable thing is really is.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Frequent Visitor
    Thank you Russ for your advise. I plan to upgrade to the FMM on a future aquarium. For now I need something to give peace of mind to my tank sitter when I travel for work or vacation.