Thread: Configuration after changing modem & routers

Regular Vistor

Configuration after changing modem & routers

Hello. I am in the process of switching out my cable modem as well as routers and need some help in figuring out how I go about setting up my Apex Classic to the new network. I currently have a Comcast modem hard wired to an ASUS router. I am using a Netgear router as an extender (wirelessly connected to the ASUS) to connect to the Apex (using Ethernet cable). I am switching to a Motorola modem and Eero mesh routers. I will have an Eero base unit next to my tank that will be connected to the Apex via Ethernet.

Can someone tell me what steps I need to take in order to make the switch over to the new configuration? Hopefully I will not have to reset my Apex to factory settings first?

I have found some posts while searching for information on this issue but they seem to be questions that have come up in the middle of the swicthover process and I'm not even sure how/where to begin.

I figured I'd collect all the information needed before I get started so the Apex isn't offline for too long.

I appreciate any help that you can give me!

Enable DHCP if it isn't already and then reboot the apex after you connect the new ethernet.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Enable DHCP if it isn't already and then reboot the apex after you connect the new ethernet.

Oh wow. So all I need to do is first swap out all my modems and routers and connect them the way I want them. And then enable DHCP and reboot Apex and it will pick up the new configuration automatically? Assuming it connects fine, should I turn off DHCP once done?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
    Oh wow. So all I need to do is first swap out all my modems and routers and connect them the way I want them. And then enable DHCP and reboot Apex and it will pick up the new configuration automatically? Assuming it connects fine, should I turn off DHCP once done?

That's a personal preference thing. I use static IP so I don't have to look up my IP every time I want to use the classic dashboard, but there are a few gotchas that can make things not talk if you don't set it up right.

Regular Vistor
    That's a personal preference thing. I use static IP so I don't have to look up my IP every time I want to use the classic dashboard, but there are a few gotchas that can make things not talk if you don't set it up right.

I prefer a static IP as well. So silly question - does DHCP need to be enabled or disabled in order to use a static IP?

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevil View Post
    I prefer a static IP as well. So silly question - does DHCP need to be enabled or disabled in order to use a static IP?

DHCP needs to be disabled and the last octet of the ip address needs to me adjusted to be outside the DHCP lease pool of your router (123 is often a good choice)

Regular Vistor

Configuration after changing modem & routers

DHCP needs to be disabled and the last octet of the ip address needs to me adjusted to be outside the DHCP lease pool of your router (123 is often a good choice)

Sounds good! I should have all my system components in this week so I’m hoping for an uneventful switch over next weekend. Thank you for all your help!