Thread: 0-10v Dimming RJ45 output port spec question

New User

0-10v Dimming RJ45 output port spec question

Sorry if this is redundant, but after searching for some time, I've not found the answer.

Can the 0-10V RJ45 dimming ports on the Apex 2016 be used for something other than dimming LED's? I'd like to use one for a low current application for either powering a relay coil or low current motor. Does anyone know what the current draw (amperage) spec is for these ports?

Thanks much in advance for the replies!
    Last edited by iceman0; 02-13-2019 at 14:05. Reason: clarification

Quote Originally Posted by iceman0 View Post
    Sorry if this is redundant, but after searching for some time, I've not found the answer.

Can the 0-10V RJ45 dimming ports on the Apex 2016 be used for something other than dimming LED's? I'd like to use one for a low current application for either powering a relay coil or low current motor. Does anyone know what the current draw (amperage) spec is for these ports?

Thanks much in advance for the replies!
    No they cannot since the maximum current is around 20mA (I forget whether that was per channel or total off the top of my head). You can, however, use them to drive an optocoupler that uses a seperate power supply for the actual relays since those draw almost nothing. You can also use the VDM for other applications that have 0-10V speed control (or PWM if you use a 0-10V to PWM converter or 4-20mA if you use a 0-10V to 4-20mA converter).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    No they cannot since the maximum current is around 20mA (I forget whether that was per channel or total off the top of my head). You can, however, use them to drive an optocoupler that uses a seperate power supply for the actual relays since those draw almost nothing. You can also use the VDM for other applications that have 0-10V speed control (or PWM if you use a 0-10V to PWM converter or 4-20mA if you use a 0-10V to 4-20mA converter).

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thank you, Zombie! Once again, you are such a great and valuable resource to this community.