Thread: recently had a little h2o spill - not major but...

recently had a little h2o spill - not major but...

Folks,

All of my pumps that take from or return water to the sump (reactors, skimmer..) have a statement to turn them off in the event of a leak-detection. Is there a way to insure that they don't turn back on without intervention?

I went away and left my hubster here. I got a leak alarm right before boarding, he went home (we're in NYC - easy to do) and let me know that nothing was flooding....but could I turn those damn alarms off? So I did, knowing full well what that meant. I manually turned all suspect pumps off but neglected the skimmer pump. Of course it was the pump-feeding the skimmer (who apparently started this whole thing).

The following morning, when hubster was drying the cabinet and the leak detectors....well, you can figure the rest. Still happily married and no material damage but......

For my future and sanity - can anyone make any suggestions?

Here is my pump turn off code:

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If SWLeak CLOSED Then OFF
    If NWLeak CLOSED Then OFF
    If NELeak CLOSED Then OFF
    If SELeak CLOSED Then OFF

Tanks for the advice in advance.

Debby

Frequent Visitor
    Change the IF statements to WHEN ... Than you have to 'manually' turn the pump back on.

The WHEN requires an on/off state, not closed or open. are they equal to one-another, or need I create some V_outlets to do this?

Thank you!

Frequent Visitor
    You can create a virtual outlet called No_Leak

SET OFF
    If SWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NELeak CLOSED Then ON
    If SELeak CLOSED Then ON

Then change you SET ON command in the pump code to

Set Off
    If Output No_Leak = ON Then ON

That should work ... but sure Zombie will correct me ....

Quote Originally Posted by debbygoldman View Post
    Folks,

All of my pumps that take from or return water to the sump (reactors, skimmer..) have a statement to turn them off in the event of a leak-detection. Is there a way to insure that they don't turn back on without intervention?

I went away and left my hubster here. I got a leak alarm right before boarding, he went home (we're in NYC - easy to do) and let me know that nothing was flooding....but could I turn those damn alarms off? So I did, knowing full well what that meant. I manually turned all suspect pumps off but neglected the skimmer pump. Of course it was the pump-feeding the skimmer (who apparently started this whole thing).

The following morning, when hubster was drying the cabinet and the leak detectors....well, you can figure the rest. Still happily married and no material damage but......

For my future and sanity - can anyone make any suggestions?

Here is my pump turn off code:

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If SWLeak CLOSED Then OFF
    If NWLeak CLOSED Then OFF
    If NELeak CLOSED Then OFF
    If SELeak CLOSED Then OFF

Tanks for the advice in advance.

Debby
    Your code will work, but there is a better way. Note: power monitor needs to be disabled for this to work properly.

Return
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    (Feed statements)
    (Leak statements)

Skimmer
    Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Output Returnname = OFF Then OFF
    If Power Apex Off 001 Then OFF
    Defer 005:00 Then ON

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    Either code will work ... (In my case the power monitoring is on.) Although if you have more than one return pump, etc to turn off, the use of a virtual outlet reduces the lines of code in each pump or return. You can also add other leak sensors in the future with a line of code in the virtual code, or add the conditions such as level sensors. I have a level sensor in my tank in case the overflow blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineGP View Post
    Either code will work ... (In my case the power monitoring is on.) Although if you have more than one return pump, etc to turn off, the use of a virtual outlet reduces the lines of code in each pump or return. You can also add other leak sensors in the future with a line of code in the virtual code, or add the conditions such as level sensors. I have a level sensor in my tank in case the overflow blocks.
    Unless you use a UPS, power monitor should be disabled. If you do use a UPS, that line should still be in your skimmer code.

Where is this parameter 'power monitor' disabled?? never heard that term before.

Thanks folks!

Quote Originally Posted by zombie View Post
    Unless you use a UPS, power monitor should be disabled. If you do use a UPS, that line should still be in your skimmer code.

Where is this parameter 'power monitor' disabled?? never heard that term before.
    It is an option found on the Misc setup page of the Classic Dashboard
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

Thanks folks!
    It's on the misc setup page of the display ok r the classic dashboard. It is disabled by default, but a lot of users enable it thinking it has something to do with watts/amps. What the setting actually does is when its enabled, the if power apex line checks the voltage on the aux power supply input instead of aquabus.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks folks!
    Debby. Do you have an additional power source plugged directly into your Apex Controller? Or is your Controller getting its power from an Energy Bar via an AquaBus cable?

Quote Originally Posted by wwanthony View Post
    Debby. Do you have an additional power source plugged directly into your Apex Controller? Or is your Controller getting its power from an Energy Bar via an AquaBus cable?

power from energy bar. why?

I am still vexed by this. It appears that any of the 'returnname' statements will keep the outlets OFF for 5 hours? If that is true, and I resolve the issue in under 5 hours, how can I tell the pumps to start again? I know (now) that after I clear up the error condition I can manually take each pump, turn it on (dashboard) and then return it to AUTO - and that works. Still curious about a statement that allows an outlet to be turned off and not turn back on without manual intervention.

Here is my V_leak_d virtual outlet code

If SWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NELeak CLOSED Then ON
    If SELeak CLOSED Then ON

and my return pump code

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Output V_leak_d = ON Then OFF
    Min Time 999:00 Then OFF

without min time, the pump will restart when the condition is reverted. with the min time, I have to manually off/on/auto for each pump (and skimmer) - not that elegant but works. Any additional advice is welcomed!

Thanks tanksters!

Frequent Visitor
    power from energy bar. why?
    Because if you only have power from the Energy Bar then you don’t need to be concerned about the Power Monitor. Statements above concerning the Power Monitor are clouding the issue and have nothing to do with what you are trying to resolve.

Frequent Visitor
    I am still vexed by this. It appears that any of the 'returnname' statements will keep the outlets OFF for 5 hours? If that is true, and I resolve the issue in under 5 hours, how can I tell the pumps to start again? I know (now) that after I clear up the error condition I can manually take each pump, turn it on (dashboard) and then return it to AUTO - and that works. Still curious about a statement that allows an outlet to be turned off and not turn back on without manual intervention.

Here is my V_leak_d virtual outlet code

If SWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NELeak CLOSED Then ON
    If SELeak CLOSED Then ON

and my return pump code

Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    Min Time 999:00 Then OFF

without min time, the pump will restart when the condition is reverted. with the min time, I have to manually off/on/auto for each pump (and skimmer) - not that elegant but works. Any additional advice is welcomed!

Thanks tanksters!
    How would you like it to work? Do you want it to autostart immediately after all the Leak Sensor are dry (OPEN)? Do you want it to autostart a period of time after the sensors are dry (just not 5 hours)?

WWanthony,

Ideally I'd like the pumps to turn off, and until I manually re-start them into AUTO mode, I'd like them to stay off. At the beginning of the thread you'll see that the pump-restarted when my husband dried the sensor. (I was in another state).

Frequent Visitor
    WWanthony,

Ideally I'd like the pumps to turn off, and until I manually re-start them into AUTO mode, I'd like them to stay off. At the beginning of the thread you'll see that the pump-restarted when my husband dried the sensor. (I was in another state).
    Try this. This will force the slider on the Return Pump to Manual OFF.

V_leak_d
    If SWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NWLeak CLOSED Then ON
    If NELeak CLOSED Then ON
    If SELeak CLOSED Then ON
    Min Time 00X:00 Then OFF

-- Set a MIN TIME to the minimal time you want the Leak detection Output ON

Return
    Fallback ON
    Set ON
    When OFF 00X.00 Then OFF

-- Make sure the time on the WHEN statement is more than the MIN Time in the V_leak_d Output. This will force the slider on Return to manual OFF. Add FEED statements, etc.
    -- You will be forced to move the slider to manual ON and then AUTO. You could place this code in your Reactor Outputs or have them use the Return Output. Like the Skimmer.

Skimmmer
    Fallback OFF
    Set ON
    If Output Return = OFF Then OFF
    Defer 00X:00 Then ON

-- Make sure your skimmer does not come X minutes after the Return comes back on. Add other statements you want.
    -- Use When and V_leak_d statements here if you want manual OFF.

-- Add these statements to your Alarm and Email code. The Error statement is triggered by the When statement.

If Output V_leak_d = ON Then ON
    If Error Return Then ON