Thread: ATO Reservoir fill 2 float switches

NSI Member

ATO Reservoir fill 2 float switches

So I've been reading about adding a latching relay setup with 2 float switches to control my ATO reservoir fill so that my RODI unit is not constantly going on an off to keep the reservoir full, pretty much you have a high and low float switch and a solenoid that goes in line with the RODI line that fills the reservoir.

So have the solenoid plugged into an outlet, when your Top Float Switch is ON (water is full) the Outlet is OFF, when then Bottom Float switch is ON (water still above it) the outlet is off, If the water drops below the top float switch and then goes down past the bottom float switch, it turns the Outlet ON, and it will stay on until the Top Float switch is ON.

So for the Outlet to be ON, Both the Top and Bottom float switches need to be OFF
    but for the outlet to be OFF the Top switch must be ON (as well as the bottom switch of course)

But if only the bottom Switch is ON and Top is Off, outlet should be ON until both switches are ON

Now, how would we put that into a program?

there's no need for two floats to manage the water level. Use a single float to do that and add a Defer of say, 30 minutes to keep it from cycling on/off. use the second float as a safety in case the first float fails to shut off for some reason.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

NSI Member
    im not using the floats to manage the level so much as to keep my rodi from cycling on and off, i mean i guess i could put it to defer off for 24 hours or so, pretty much i have a 5 gallon bucket, and i want the RODI to run till its almost full, and then not run untill it is almost empty and then fill back up. I wasnt wanting to rely on a timer to do this. But i guess it would work but just would need to figure out how much time it takes to use up the 5 gallons (could be a couple days)
    Quote Originally Posted by aquamanic View Post
    there's no need for two floats to manage the water level. Use a single float to do that and add a Defer of say, 30 minutes to keep it from cycling on/off. use the second float as a safety in case the first float fails to shut off for some reason.

Sorry, I mis-read your post and thought you were talking about your ATO top-off. For a ATO reservoir, you're right, 2 floats is the way to go.

[ATO Reservoir]
    If switch1 CLOSED Then ON
    If switch2 OPEN Then OFF

Switch1 in my example is the bottom float. When down/closed the RO pump turns on. It will stay on (because there's no SET statement) until the top float switch2 goes UP/OPEN. Then when water is consumed from the reservoir, nothing will happen again until switch1 drops indicating the cycle should repeat. Even when the top float, switch2 drops as water is consumed, the outlet will remain OFF. The only thing that will turn the outlet ON is when the bottom float switch1 drops.

Obviously, this should be tested before putting into production!
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!

NSI Member
    hrmmm sounds so simple lol...so basically since there is no rule saying i switch2 closed then open, then closed state of switch2 doesnt matter, and same for if switch1 is open then off, it only pays attention to the states that we tell it to.
    Sorry, I mis-read your post and thought you were talking about your ATO top-off. For a ATO reservoir, you're right, 2 floats is the way to go.

[ATO Reservoir]
    If switch1 CLOSED Then ON
    If switch2 OPEN Then OFF

switch1 is the bottom float. When down/closed the RO pump turns on. It will stay on (because there's no SET statement) until the top float switch2 goes UP/OPEN. Then when water is consumed from the reservoir, nothing will happen again until switch1 drops indicating the cycle should repeat.

Obviously, this should be tested before putting into production!

It looks for the last 'true' statement. That's what the outlet gets set to.

Here's a little diagram with the two floats represented in up and down states and walk through the logic. Last true statement wins.

2 float ATO example.png
    Al

NSI Member
    got the floats and testing things, have a question, should there be any fallback commands or set commands? if a float fails in an open or closed state should there be any safety commands, or any position we would prefer that float to fail in if it does fail? (i do have a manual float valve as a backup in case the solenoid gets stuck open)
    It looks for the last 'true' statement. That's what the outlet gets set to.

Here's a little diagram with the two floats represented in up and down states and walk through the logic. Last true statement wins.

2 float ATO example.png

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPaul84 View Post
    got the floats and testing things, have a question, should there be any fallback commands or set commands? if a float fails in an open or closed state should there be any safety commands, or any position we would prefer that float to fail in if it does fail? (i do have a manual float valve as a backup in case the solenoid gets stuck open)
    A good idea is to time how long it would take to fill up the reservoir once the low water level switch turns the solenoid on, and add that as a defer statement. For example, if it takes 30 minutes to fill up the reservoir, set it to turn the solenoid on for only 25 minutes. This will leave you with your float and top switch as a double fail safe.

This was exactly what I was looking for. Every logic operation that I could think of would not work. I was up until 4am last night trying to get this to work. I guess I didn't understand the "last statement which is true" portion of the Apex programming language. If only Neptune would incorporate standard logic statements, that is normal If-then-else as well as and-not capability into the programming language it would make life a lot more simple.

Frequent Visitor
    I'll add another "this was exactly what I was look for" post. Thank you!

Bob

Frequent Visitor
    This is what I'm looking for too. What code did you guys end up with for fail safes?