Thread: Failed temp probe?

New User

Failed temp probe?

My temp probe now reads 20.7F constantly (changing to celsius gave me -6). I get the same reading whether it's plugged in or not. I've tried rebooting the the Apex and got the exact same indications.

Curious if anyone else has seen this and if it's indicative of a failed temp probe or if it's something else.

No, but I think it's a good reason for people to have probe failure code as a failsafe for their heaters.

Mine shuts off if the tank drops below 68deg.

Yup, that's what a failed probe will read. Time to get a new one or if this is under warranty, contact support.
    Al

I do not work for Neptune. Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums!
    For Neptune support send an email (don't call) to: [email protected] .
    Manuals for all products including the
    Comprehensive Reference Manual can be found here.

Frequent Visitor
    So does mine now. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by micaheli View Post
    No, but I think it's a good reason for people to have probe failure code as a failsafe for their heaters.

Quote Originally Posted by micaheli View Post

A clarification for the benefit of other readers: More specifically, you have yours programmed to turn off the heater if the temperature indicated by the temp probe is < 68, which is a good indication the there's something wrong - like a bad temp probe.
    Please do not send me PMs with technical questions or requesting assistance - use the forums for Apex help. PM me ONLY if the matter is of a private or personal nature. Thanks.

I keep it at 68 because it'll also shut off if the temp probe gets kicked out of the sump... Any lower and it may still cook your tank if your ambient air temp is higher than your shut off, but lower than your desired temp.

New User
    It's not the probe...brand new probe, EXACT same reading...so what else could it be? Any ideas?

Frequent Visitor
    Is it plugged into the Apex or a module?

Regular Vistor
    I had my original Temp Probe plugged into my PM2 but recently the temp was starting to jump up and down by 10 degrees F which was disturbing. I decided to move it back to the main Base Temp port and it's been holding steady. I ordered a new Temp Probe to see if the PM2 Module Temp Port is whacko. Has anyone else experienced this?

New User
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellery View Post
    I had my original Temp Probe plugged into my PM2 but recently the temp was starting to jump up and down by 10 degrees F which was disturbing. I decided to move it back to the main Base Temp port and it's been holding steady. I ordered a new Temp Probe to see if the PM2 Module Temp Port is whacko. Has anyone else experienced this?
    I had a similar experience. Noticed the temp reading had diverged from 77 to 79 and amperage use dropped. pulled the probe and apex still read 79 so I rebooted the apex and now it's reading 20.8. At this point I've allowed the heater thermostats to take over and have cleaned the temp probe with distilled vineger and cleand the electrical contact end with electrical cleaner.

At this point I'm trying to figure out how to isolate the problem between the probem and controller?

Quote Originally Posted by netsequent View Post
    I had a similar experience. Noticed the temp reading had diverged from 77 to 79 and amperage use dropped. pulled the probe and apex still read 79 so I rebooted the apex and now it's reading 20.8. At this point I've allowed the heater thermostats to take over and have cleaned the temp probe with distilled vineger and cleand the electrical contact end with electrical cleaner.

At this point I'm trying to figure out how to isolate the problem between the probem and controller?
    Check the pins in the apex head unit where the probe plugs in. If one or more of them is bent back in too far it can create an open circuit which will read in the low 20s. You can bend them back out if you are careful with some tweezers (power the head unit off when you do this) and prevent the open circuit.

You might be an engineer if...You have no life and can prove it mathematically.