Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torx's Jebao WP Apex harness

Lightbulb Torx's Jebao WP Apex harness

Best update I made to my Apex with amazing control. I use the cable on 2 WP-40 pumps on my 120gal long tank. Not sure if more is needed by anyone, or if it explanatory enough on its own, but here is how I did it.

Yes, an Apex uses 0-10v on the VSP, this cable splits the voltage to 0-5v that is used by the WP's.

***Keep in mind that different venders have different color wires for the 3 pin waterproof connection, so if you do one yourself, but sure to test the pin outs on it before or you risk dropping 24v into your VSP.***

On other threads that I found to help me build this, they all said that any 2 resistors will work for this. *NOT* any 2 will work. I use 1/4w 2.7k Ohms and have used 1/4w 1k ohm with no issues. I recently 0 reviewed a build someone did that was not working and they had used 10 Ohm resistors...they do not work! I do not know the minimum size required, but just thought I would add that The watts rating tells you how much heat a resistor can handle safely without inviting a failure. There are no heat issues with these builds, plus the 1/4w resisters are typically smaller in size and are hidden easier

In the third pic, I actually ended up de-soldering the orange/white ethernet cable from the resistor and slid on some heat shrink, then re-soldered it and slid the sleeve over the open wires to avoid shorting it out against the ground wires. I can take more pictures again when I get parts in for more cables. Hopefully should be shortly, just went over my emails and I have enough to make 25 coming, and 21 are already spoken for.

***I also suggest getting a harness assembled without dismantling your current controller. 2 reasons mostly. One, IF something ever happens to your Apex, you will have no way of controlling your pumps until you get it fixed. Two, if you ever are looking to sell them, upgrade your tank etc, then they will be worthless without a controller.***

Quick schematic

I use the following for the pins on the ethernet cable. Info is in the Apex guide as well though.

My first cable, this is the orange and orange/white ethernet cable wires as noted above, controlled by the V2 or V4 depending which port you are plugged into. Do not mind the bad soldering, I have gotten 100x better and quicker now that I have made a half dozen double cables and waiting on parts for more.

Complete with heat shrink. White marks which power connection controls which pump. Just handy so you know which one is plugged in where if you are using the EB8 as well.

UPDATE - December 2014: Since the release of the Jebao to Apex module by Jebao through fish-street.com, I am no longer able to keep competitive in building these. I enjoyed making these while I was and to date have not had a single person message me with a complaint since I started these almost a year ago. I am still more then happy to help people if they have any questions about building them, feel free to contact me any time.
    Last edited by RussM; 12-27-2014 at 16:33. Reason: Updated with info from thread to keep it all in one post.
    Current: 120 Gallon Peninsula DIY system.

Frequent Visitor
    I thought the wp use 0-5v?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ummm, they do use 0-5v, which is why you need a harness to control them. The resistors are a simple voltage divider that cuts the voltage going from the Apex to the cable from 0-10v down to 0-5v. I have been running mine for a few weeks and 0 issues. I even made a wave that splashed out of my tank, so control is just as good...well better now IMHO...then with the stock controller.

Frequent Visitor
    OK your first post picture shows the resisters taking it to 0-10.

Frequent Visitor
    I like this DIY. So do you separate the two resisters from each other dome how? Any chance you could take pictures with out wires being covered?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kpotter7575 View Post
    OK your first post picture shows the resisters taking it to 0-10.

Correct, there is 0-10v out of the Apex, but after the resisters, it is 0-5v.

Frequent Visitor
    Two each wire out. Yep got it now.

Frequent Visitor
    2.7 resister is what you used?

2.7 resister is what you used?

Correct, I use 2 x 2.7k Ohm resistors.

I use the following for the pins on the ethernet cable. Info is in the Apex guide as well though.

I also suggest getting a harness assembled without dismantling your current controller. 2 reasons mostly. One, IF something ever happens to your Apex, you will have no way of controlling your pumps until you get it fixed. Two, if you ever are looking to sell them, upgrade your tank etc, then they will be worthless without a controller.

Do you have a source where the 3 pin connector can be ordered from?

Ebay lol. Or Aliexpress

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk

Frequent Visitor
    How many watts is the resistor? 1w?

I was chatting with a guy over on RC today, and these apparently work on his Jebao controllable DC pump.

Quote Originally Posted by ElmoC View Post
    Do you have a source where the 3 pin connector can be ordered from?
    A little more info on what I ordered for the next group of cables I am making {link deleted at Torx' request}
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie View Post
    How many watts is the resistor? 1w?
    2.7k Ohm 1/4 watt 5% Carbon Film Resistors
    Last edited by RussM; 03-03-2014 at 21:29. Reason: Link removed per Torx' request

Regular Vistor
    I'll preempt this with, I have limited knowledge on circuitry but... wouldn't the 2.7k resister actually turning the 0-10v into more like a 0-3.7v? If so, does that allow the pump to reach top power still?

Regular Vistor
    Thanks for posting this. Ive been thinking about making a harness for my jebao powerheads and this will be very helpful. Are the 24 volt dc connectors readily available at radio shack?

Quote Originally Posted by kacairns View Post
    I'll preempt this with, I have limited knowledge on circuitry but... wouldn't the 2.7k resister actually turning the 0-10v into more like a 0-3.7v? If so, does that allow the pump to reach top power still?
    Nope, I questioned that myself the first time actually. I have measured with a voltmeter on 100% and get 5v to the pump. A simple voltage divider can be created by using any 2 resistors of the SAME value.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mikes781 View Post
    Thanks for posting this. Ive been thinking about making a harness for my jebao powerheads and this will be very helpful. Are the 24 volt dc connectors readily available at radio shack?
    Most likely, but I purchase mine on good ol ebay as I have about 21 people who want me to make these right now.
    Last edited by Torx; 02-16-2014 at 12:24.

Regular Vistor
    Quote Originally Posted by Torx View Post
    Nope, I questioned that myself the first time actually. I have measured with a voltmeter on 100% and get 5v to the pump. A simple voltage divider can be created by using any 2 resistors of the SAME value.
    I've got some 1k Ohm 1/4w and 1/2w resistors here I used on another project, those would work fine?

Quote Originally Posted by kacairns View Post
    I've got some 1k Ohm 1/4w and 1/2w resistors here I used on another project, those would work fine?
    Any 2 resistors of the SAME value can be used. I have read several people using 1k 0hm resistors. The watts rating tells you how much heat a resistor can handle safely without inviting a failure. There are no heat issues with these builds, plus the 1/4w resisters are typically smaller in size and are hidden easier

Frequent Visitor
    I just bought enough stuff to make ten singles or five doubles off of eBay. I need two for my tank, and I'm hoping I can help a few friends out as well. Wish me luck!

I just bought enough stuff to make ten singles or five doubles off of eBay. I need two for my tank, and I'm hoping I can help a few friends out as well. Wish me luck!
    That is an understatement, I recently had a club contact me for a group buy on them and i have about a dozen others waiting for me to get parts on top of that.

Frequent Visitor
    Dang.

I wouldnt think there would be that much demand.

Dang.

I wouldnt think there would be that much demand.
    That is what I thought when I had 5 3pin connecters and posted them on a local board that I would make them for someone if anyone wanted as I did not want to throw them out. They were sold in under 5 minutes and I am still getting PM's every day from people wanting them. And that is only 2 sites in Canada. The GB is in the US though.

Ready for the real kicker? I was chatting with a member on another site that uses one on his Jebao DC controllable pump...hello...here come more freaking orders.

I like this DIY. So do you separate the two resisters from each other dome how? Any chance you could take pictures with out wires being covered?
    Thanks

Sorry I missed this post. In the picture of the wiring in the first post, I actually ended up de-soldering the orange/white ethernet cable from the resistor and slid on some heat shrink, then re-soldered it and slid the sleeve over the open wires to avoid shorting it out against the ground wires. I can take more pictures again when I get parts in for more cables. Hopefully should be shortly, just went over my emails and I have enough to make 25 coming, and 21 are already spoken for.

I have also updated the original post with some of the Q&A through the thread to keep it all together.

Frequent Visitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Torx View Post
    Best update I made to my Apex with amazing control. I use the cable on 2 WP-40 pumps on my 120gal long tank. Not sure if more is needed by anyone, or if it explanatory enough on its own, but here is how I did it.

Yes, an Apex uses 0-10v on the VSP, this cable splits the voltage to 0-5v that is used by the WP's.

***Keep in mind that different venders have different color wires for the 3 pin waterproof connection, so if you do one yourself, but sure to test the pin outs on it before or you risk dropping 24v into your VSP.***

Any 2 resistors of the SAME value can be used. I used 2.7k Ohm 1/4 watt. I have read several people using 1k 0hm resistors. The watts rating tells you how much heat a resistor can handle safely without inviting a failure. There are no heat issues with these builds, plus the 1/4w resisters are typically smaller in size and are hidden easier

In the third pic, I actually ended up de-soldering the orange/white ethernet cable from the resistor and slid on some heat shrink, then re-soldered it and slid the sleeve over the open wires to avoid shorting it out against the ground wires. I can take more pictures again when I get parts in for more cables. Hopefully should be shortly, just went over my emails and I have enough to make 25 coming, and 21 are already spoken for.

***I also suggest getting a harness assembled without dismantling your current controller. 2 reasons mostly. One, IF something ever happens to your Apex, you will have no way of controlling your pumps until you get it fixed. Two, if you ever are looking to sell them, upgrade your tank etc, then they will be worthless without a controller.***

Quick schematic

My first cable, this is the orange and orange/white ethernet cable wires as noted above, controlled by the V2 or V4 depending which port you are plugged into. Do not mind the bad soldering, I have gotten 100x better and quicker now that I have made a half dozen double cables and waiting on parts for more.

Complete with heat shrink. White marks which power connection controls which pump. Just handy so you know which one is plugged in where if you are using the EB8 as well.

Can you show your harness connected to the controller and pump?

Quote Originally Posted by Geokiris View Post
    Can you show your harness connected to the controller and pump?
    Odd request, but here is my birdsnest of wires currently. I can not wait to set up my remote sump in the storage room this summer and clean up this cabinet. Too much stuff, not enough room or time right now to clean it up. I tried to pull out the harness wires and hope that you can make them out. This is one of the first cables I did...before I was using heatshrink to seal it.

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast